265/70/17's and wheel spacers...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarkMatters

Full Access Member
Reaction score
....Alright guys, if i have the above tires and have the little skirt trimmed, and still rubbing slightly at full turn...planning on buying spacers to get a wider stance....where should i be expect the rubbing to go? any others with this setup?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
....Alright guys, if i have the above tires and have the little skirt trimmed, and still rubbing slightly at full turn...planning on buying spacers to get a wider stance....where should i be expect the rubbing to go? any others with this setup?
Easy answer.Go out and buy a big piece of foam,large enough to make a circle the size of your tire,the same thickness as your spacers.Tape it to the outside of your tire and turn the wheel back and forth and it will show you where the rub will ocure.

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another idea is to put some washers on your wheel studs to space them out 1.25" or whatever your spacer size will be. Just don't go driving anywhere like that. ;)

rdonn

Reaction score
I have 245/70R17s and had trimmed until they didn't rub. Then I added 1.25 spacers and, as expected, the rubbing moved outward... had to do some more trimming. Still I love the wider stance.

Rich

jsc7002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another idea is to put some washers on your wheel studs to space them out 1.25" or whatever your spacer size will be. Just don't go driving anywhere like that. ;)

BAD IDEA! maybe one washer but that still wouldnt be very smart and if you were to try it you would have to use Grade 8 washers, not the regular grade 2

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BAD IDEA! maybe one washer but that still wouldnt be very smart and if you were to try it you would have to use Grade 8 washers, not the regular grade 2

Hey, all he wants to do is turn his steering wheel to see where it rubs. It's not a BAD IDEA unless he decides to drive with the washers on which is something i already mentioned he should not do. Those studs are designed to take a heck of a lot more force than what would occur in this simple test. You seem to imply that i was saying that he should drive it that way.

jsc7002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, all he wants to do is turn his steering wheel to see where it rubs. It's not a BAD IDEA unless he decides to drive with the washers on which is something i already mentioned he should not do. Those studs are designed to take a heck of a lot more force than what would occur in this simple test. You seem to imply that i was saying that he should drive it that way.

oh sorry I must not have read it all

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
still a bad idea cause the studs are not that long, putting the washers on and then even turning sitting still will put a good bit of force directly on the studs themselves, ( remember our wheels are hub centric for a reason, ) could weaken or snap the lugs easily. tjkjs idea is the best and will work the best

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand what you guys are saying but i still disagree. You can buy spacers for the wheels that do the same thing as the washers (http://jeepinbyal.com/prod-7_32__Wheel_Spacers-491.aspx). Granted, the spacers do not provide any support which is why people use the spidertrax version that are designed to help transfer the load from the studs. But in this case we will not see any loads that would exceed design parameters. The wheel studs are strong enough to hold the weight of the vehicle for the simple test of turning the steering wheel. If the studs are not long enough for the spacer that you want to use then go ahead and use tjkj's method but otherwise you should be fine.

Latest posts

Members online