245/70 R16 sway bar rubbing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have these installed on a gasser KJ with Ironman lift kit. I've seen multiple accounts of people using these with no lift kit at all and getting no rubbing whatsoever. However, for me they rub a lot on full lock both left and right.

I got the alignment checked and it was perfect. I asked the alignment guy whether the rubbing could be decreased by changing the alignment, i.e. opening it up a bit and he said no way.

So I am kinda clueless now. Do you, guys, have any idea why that happens and how I can fix it?

jja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for not mentioning that. I have the stock 16x7 wheels. The tires are Goodyear Wrangler SA/AT+.

So no cure for that? Adding spacers seems like an overkill for this setup. Are there steering stops on the KJ? Adjusting these might help but I cant find any.

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for not mentioning that. I have the stock 16x7 wheels. The tires are Goodyear Wrangler SA/AT+.

So no cure for that? Adding spacers seems like an overkill for this setup. Are there steering stops on the KJ? Adjusting these might help but I cant find any.

There's a steering stop where the knuckle and LCA come together but other than that, no. You probably just need a wheel with a different offset from stock, Tomm goes by backspacing... I say a 16x7 with a 0 offset. Can typically find a fairly inexpensive set of wheels if you search around a little online.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With 265/70/16s on 16x8 Moabs, my only issue is the front bumper. Just haven't gotten around to trying to push/trim it.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No way to adjust stops. Alignment shop guys probably had a good laugh though.

Bob

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For that width tire youd be better off with a wheel with more backspacing. I gave up on those thin spacers back in the 70's when I had a couple break on me.

jja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No way to adjust stops. Alignment shop guys probably had a good laugh though.

Bob

Well right after I did the lift one of the stock tires was rubbing at the same spot on the sway bar at full lock. After alignment the rubbing was gone.

I did the alignment at the same shop and I guess that's why the shop guys were not laughing this time :icon_lol:

So that's what makes me wonder whether an alignment can't fix it this time too.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well right after I did the lift one of the stock tires was rubbing at the same spot on the sway bar at full lock. After alignment the rubbing was gone.

I did the alignment at the same shop and I guess that's why the shop guys were not laughing this time :icon_lol:

So that's what makes me wonder whether an alignment can't fix it this time too.

In theory, toe should affect rubbing on the inside, no?

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In theory, toe should affect rubbing on the inside, no?

Yea, but in all reality if your toe was THAT bad I would imagine you have bent parts somewhere. I'm not going to rule it out that it could happen, but in the past 6 years I've been doing alignments I've yet to see the adjustment out so bad that it actually rubs unless there's bent parts. Every vehicle will be different though, so don't hold me to my word.

Edit - That's taken into account that a vehicle has OE tires and suspension or the proper aftermarket set up (Leveled, lifted, etc) with proper wheel offset and tire size.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, but in all reality if your toe was THAT bad I would imagine you have bent parts somewhere. I'm not going to rule it out that it could happen, but in the past 6 years I've been doing alignments I've yet to see the adjustment out so bad that it actually rubs unless there's bent parts. Every vehicle will be different though, so don't hold me to my word.

Edit - That's taken into account that a vehicle has OE tires and suspension or the proper aftermarket set up (Leveled, lifted, etc) with proper wheel offset and tire size.

I can see that...for most vehicles. But our KJs are set up to turn SO tight that I can definitely see how it might rub directly after lifting. Without that much change however...I agree.

@OP - Perhaps everything wasn't tightened down? The last time I got an alignment at Firestone, the bolts were NOT tight at all. Took no effort to crank them whatsoever. A little bit of driving like that and shit can get out of whack REAL fast.

By the way, I will never go to Firestone again. Two shops and their techs couldn't figure my Jeep out and explain to me the things that my body shop did.

Last edited:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...By the way, I will never go to Firestone again. Two shops and their techs couldn't figure my Jeep out and explain to me the things that my body shop did.

So what ended up being the issue with your alignment? I didn't see the follow-up to know if your alignment got into spec or not...

Bob

jja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that is my alignment right after the lift when the passenger side stock 235/70r16 was rubbing.

You must be registered for see images

And here it is after adjustment.

You must be registered for see images attach

When I put the 245/70s I checked it and still had the same values. Whether the rubbing can be alleviated by changing alignment is still an open question to me.

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that is my alignment right after the lift when the passenger side stock 235/70r16 was rubbing.

And here it is after adjustment.

When I put the 245/70s I checked it and still had the same values. Whether the rubbing can be alleviated by changing alignment is still an open question to me.

Doubtful, unless there's something bent or broken that needs replacement. Hard to say, I can't see the pics you linked to and even visually it could be a tough fix. Easy fix, don't full lock the steering unless necessary :shrug: the 245/70s will have a slight rub with no lift though.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what ended up being the issue with your alignment? I didn't see the follow-up to know if your alignment got into spec or not...

Bob

I believe my engine cradle is slightly tweaked. But I did take it to another shop that was able to do A LOT better, and let me sit underneath as they did it. He explained to me exactly what he was doing as he was doing it, and possibilities to get it all fixed up. I ended up with only SLIGHT positive camber on the driver's side. I'm going to get it rechecked after some miles and rapid tire rotations to see if settling helps it get back into place.

Members online

No members online now.