235 or 245?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greetings all!

I've decided to get the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor tires, probably going to order within the next week or so. Stock height, no lift (18.5'' Front/Rear), can I go 245? I've searched the forum for more specs on the wheels I have, so far it seems I can go 245, but rubbing is questionable.

Our parking lot at our apartment is a pretty tight fit, so I usually go full lock when parking. Therefore if there's a chance of rub, I'll stick with 235's.

Please reference the tiny pic below for wheels in question :smokin:

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're looking for absolutely no rub and can't deal with any, I'd definitely go 235.

Each vehicle is different. Stock, some folks run 245/70 A/T's with no rub. I had a little lift and got some rub with them. I now have OME's and 235/75's...and I still get a little rub on the sway bar at full lock. I think my KJ is just prone to it, either with the perfect mix of tolerances the parts have, or because the alignment wasn't done properly. I really don't know why.

Deviating from stock, you run the risk, but I think the risk will be minimal with 235's. Mine came with 235/70's from the factory and I don't recall any rub at all with those - but they were SR-A's, so not as aggressive as what you are getting.

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Assuming your wheels are 16", general wisdom is 245-70-16 will fit an un-lifted vehicle without serious rubbing. I currently run 245-70-16 Bridgestone Dueller Revo's on my un-lifted '05, with no issues.

That said when they were new there was very slight rubbing on the wheel well liner in front of the wheel, but nothing which would cause any damage and I didn't bother doing anything about it.

I'm about to put some new ones on, I'm wanting to go with General Grabber AT2's this time around but they are back-ordered 2-3 weeks. I will update once I get them on!

Jaber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, didn't realize I posted in the wrong section! D'oh... Meant to be in the Tires/Wheels.

Anywho, thanks for the feedback. Think I'll stick with 235's and later on go bigger with a lift and all :D

KeswickDave,

I've been waiting for TireRack to stock the Grabber AT2's, but they were unable to supply me with an ETA. So after much going back/forth, decided to go with the GY SA.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm glad to see that the AT2's are in demand still - hopefully they'll keep producing them. I plan to go back to the AT2's for my next set of tires.

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jaber, no worries - moved it to Tires/Wheels for ya.

I was not getting much luck with the Generals either, I even phoned Continental (they make them), was given a vague answer of sometime in November/December.

My usual tire guy has a great price on them, and last time he checked he was told 2-3 weeks so I'm crossing my fingers, considering the Revo's are getting pretty bald and it's snowing today :)

Jaber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really happy right now. Local discount tire can order me the general grabber at2 for 138 each. So looks like im going with my original choice.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oooh I should call my tire guy, I wonder if they're back in stock? You're getting me all excited! :D

I was reviewing the A/T ratings on Tire Rack again yesterday, the AT2 is rated #1 for Light Snow and Deep Snow traction :)

Last edited:

Jaber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oooh I should call my tire guy, I wonder if they're back in stock? You're getting me all excited! :D

I was reviewing the A/T ratings on Tire Rack again yesterday, the AT2 is rated #1 for Light Snow and Deep Snow traction :)

Went today, guy gave me wrong information :( I was pretty upset, also considering the guy said "you don't need A/T tires in that thing, it's a grocery getter". I pretty much walked out.

Called every tire store online and local tire shops and it seems there's a nationwide backorder lol...

I'm debating what to do, go with Goodyear Silent Armor for a lot higher price, go with Firestone Destination A/T or just wait for the General Grabber AT2 that has no ETA and every place seems to want them.

I need something good with deep snow and reading reviews like you did, AT2 seems the best for the price. I loved their General Artic Altimax winter tire.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I love my Nitto Terra Grapplers, I think they come in both 235/70/16 and the 245/70...

I got them back in Feb because the GG AT2 was on back order then!