2012 Jeep Liberty: Parking Brake Adjustment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepLibertyKK

Reaction score
I've read a few of the different threads here by doing a 'search' and so far, I am a little confused as to the information posted. Some say that you can remove some slack and increase tension on the parking park cable by accessing it by way of the console. Others say that it can't be done there at all, and can only be done at the rear wheels.

Does anyone have pictures or a link of the actual process to tighten the parking brake shoes on a 2012 Jeep Liberty KK? Seems that most links end up taking me to information on another Jeep model, not a Liberty KK.

Using the picture posted as a starting point, what are the next steps?

Thank you very much. JeepLibertyKK

Attachments

• IMG_20131130_134533_477.jpg
    IMG_20131130_134533_477.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20131130_134731_044.jpg
    IMG_20131130_134731_044.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 16

Phil + Neela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate to burst your bubble...

Starting in '08, the parking brake cable no longer "self adjusts" and takes up slack, meaning that once that cable is stretched, it will no longer pull your brake shoes tight, regardless of how well you adjust the shoes.

As for the brake shoes themselves, the link below is straight from the service manual.

Brake Adjustment

I have an '08 and after five years the cable is soooo stretched out that with new shoes and well adjusted brakes, I can barely hold my jeep still against the engine while on level ground...I'm still trying to figure out a fix for that one without going to the dealer. It's simply that when I pull up on the lever, 90% of the motion takes the slack out of the line and the last little bit actually begins to set the brakes.