2008 Liberty Electrical Reset

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mgsntx

Reaction score
Clock resets 5 seconds after turning switch from ON to OFF regardless if engine is running or not.
When running, it takes about 2 seconds for the engine to stop.
I can literally turn off the engine, remove the key and step out of the jeep before the engine stops then (with key removed) the key in ignition chime will beep 7 times. when it stops is when the clock resets. I also hear a couple of relays actuate at this point and the display shows the jeep logo.
Also, if the door is open, the radio display goes off but comes back on before the clock resets.
If door is closed. the clock resets but the radio still plays whatever was on until the timeout or door open.
Out of Warranty and don't want the dealer making $1000 guesses PCM,WCM,SKREEM,Ignition switch etc.
also, with door open, display reliably switches between door ajar and key in ignition when key is removed/inserted so its not key presence switch.
I'm guessing PCM but maybe WCM or something else

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check every fuse.
then check every relay.
then check every ground.
then start going over the wiring harnesses.

you have a wonderful electrical gremlin waiting to be found, and I'm betting it's a loose ground. if you had a FSM handy I'd say read that; it should have a section dedicated to ground point locations.

mgsntx

Reaction score
check every fuse.
then check every relay.
then check every ground.
then start going over the wiring harnesses.

you have a wonderful electrical gremlin waiting to be found, and I'm betting it's a loose ground. if you had a FSM handy I'd say read that; it should have a section dedicated to ground point locations.

Another Clue:
If I remote start the Jeep and shut it off with the remote, the clock doesnt reset.
when i turn the key to OFF, after 5 seconds i hear several relays cycle and something on the engine, I'm guessing the injectors It seems like something is causing a system wide reset which is clearing the clock and rebooting the instrument cluster as well as cycling the relays etc.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
who put in the remote start.

mgsntx

Reaction score
Update! in the Instrument panel operators display I performed a 'RESET ALL' on the trip computer, MPG etc and the problem cleared. Will have to see if it comes back but so far, after 5 starts its good

mgsntx

Reaction score
well it's back again! Same symptoms as initial post but instrument panel reset all doesn't clear it. May be related to disconnecting battery though not immediate. Any suggestions? I'm thinking about buying a pre-programmed pcm!