2006 Liberty CRD speed control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

devnul

Reaction score
Hello,

Several years ago I purchased a 2006 Liberty CRD and for some reason it does not have the factory speed control installed. I have been searching everywhere for a way to either install the factory control, or even an aftermarket one (personal preference would be the factory unit).

But, for some reason I just cannot find any information about what OEM parts need to be acquired (and even where I might be able to find them), or with respect to an aftermarket unit - if it will work with the CRD.

Does anyone have any help they could provide in getting some sort of speed control added to my CRD?

Thanks!

- Greg

devnul

Reaction score
Hello TonyCRD,

Thank you for the quick reply. One of the things I'm struggling with is exactly what constitutes the "switches in the steering wheel". I can't tell from the pictures I've found if that entails a new steering wheel assembly, or if the switches somehow just attach to the steering wheel. Also, this post seems to indicate that a new clockspring is not required, but the original poster has not followed up with if it ended up being required or not.

In terms of the switches, it almost looks like from the previous mentioned post that without cruise control there are just a couple of wires running to the horn, but when it is added, there are additional wires connecting the switches to the clockspring. Am I parsing this right?

Thanks again!

- Greg

tulsa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best way to get all this done is to buy a used Limited steering wheel. That way you can get the wiring harness and switches for both the cruise and the steering wheel radio controls.
Lewis

devnul

Reaction score
Hello,

I bought a steering wheel off Ebay about 4 months ago and finally got some time to look at this.

I took the steering wheel cover off, disconnected the cover plates, and am now to the point of installing the new components. The only hang-up is that, apparently, the steering wheel I got had radio controls on it. I kinda figured that this would just snap right in, but the connector on it has 6 pins (5 used) and the connector on the clockspring only has 4.

So, I guess, it would seem that I need to get a new wiring harness for this - without the radio controls. Or a new clockspring.

Or do you think there is a possibility I got an incompatible cruise control assembly?

Thanks for all your help!

- Greg

devnul

Reaction score
By chance does anyone have the pinouts of the 6-pin clock spring vs the 4-pin clock spring?

...I'm just curious if all of the pins on the 4-pin version are used for the horn, seems like a lot of pins for just that function...

- Greg

tulsa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By chance does anyone have the pinouts of the 6-pin clock spring vs the 4-pin clock spring?

...I'm just curious if all of the pins on the 4-pin version are used for the horn, seems like a lot of pins for just that function...

- Greg

Is this a US CRD? If so try to contact Bigtman. If you have further questions email me and I will try to help.
Lewis

devnul

Reaction score
That is exactly what my connector looks like... So is it just a cable then?...

And yes, it is a CRD.. I'm not sure what you mean by "US CRD", is that different from a CRD build somewhere else?..

- Greg

tulsa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you live in the US or Canada? Most Jeep diesels are sold outside the US. Only about 11,000 Libertys' were built for sale in North America.

devnul

Reaction score
I do live in the US... Is there something I can tell by the VIN that would tell me what you are looking for?..

I'm very confused if I need a new clock spring or just the right cable.. And if its the right cable, how I can get the right one because no dealer seems to carry them to go "look at" and tell me if it has a 4-pin or 6-pin connector :(

- Greg

tulsa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you live in the US you do not have an export CRD. I am sure that thebigtman did not have to change the clockspring. There is a junkyard here in town with an '05 CRD. If you need help please contact me. By the way I sold the wiring harness and buttons to thebigtman and may still have his email.
Lewis