2006 Jeep Liberty Sport

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ScamSurvivor

Reaction score
Hi there,

Apologies but like most newbies I'm here because of a problem.

I had the "grandmother's car" scam by the nicest young kid you would meet, turns out they'd bought the car a few days earlier and of course all of the repairs they said had been completed over the history were non existent.

We now have a 2006 Jeep Liberty Sport (that we didn't know) needing:

Radiator
Waterpump
Brakes/rotors front and rear
Front calipers

We knew about the

3 lights and rear ABS sensors
passenger side window regulators x 2

Its done nearly 190'000 miles.

Dealer would like $7000 to repair all issues including the presumed headgasket (they couldn't test but I presumed with a dead radiator and waterpump that at least 1 headgasket must have blown, and they agreed there were signs that that had happened).

It actually runs pretty well. As in during the test drive I had no warning signs or rough running, and the dealership says the same.

So I thought I'd come on and see if there was any opinions as to what to do with it. Feasible to do enough repairs ourselves and keep running it or should we simply just run.

Thanks in advance, in the mean time I'll be browsing :).

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
7000$ for all of that? Ew no. First of all, welcome. Second, buy a radioator and water pump start there. Then either rent or buy a compression tester and buy yourself a head gasket test kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome. Sounds like a lot of $$ and maybe second opinion from another shop would be in order?

Dave

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
short of the head gasket, nothing you've listed is all that hard to do with a decent tool set, some time, and the patience to do it.

ScamSurvivor

Reaction score
7000$ for all of that? Ew no. First of all, welcome. Second, buy a radioator and water pump start there. Then either rent or buy a compression tester and buy yourself a head gasket test kit.

Thanks, that was my first reaction too. Especially as the dealer radiator was $700 and online radiator was $96, youtube instructions= free. I was hoping someone would suggest :).

ScamSurvivor

Reaction score
short of the head gasket, nothing you've listed is all that hard to do with a decent tool set, some time, and the patience to do it.

Awesome, I love it when a trend in opinion appears. It gives me courage :).

I've already found a wealth of tips and info on how to replace the radiator and waterpump (particularly info on reverse nut on waterpump) so I'll order away and get started.

Summer holidays means time is on my side.

I'll post progress in the appropriate section in case anyone else finds themselves in a similar situation down track. Thanks for the welcome :).

Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I haven't had to do it myself, but I'd buy the Mopar radiator. (Installing it yourself is fine.) Lots of people here who went with the cheapie ended up replacing it a year later. One guy was smart enough to get the lifetime warranty on an off-brand and has been back two or three times.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I haven't had to do it myself, but I'd buy the Mopar radiator. (Installing it yourself is fine.) Lots of people here who went with the cheapie ended up replacing it a year later. One guy was smart enough to get the lifetime warranty on an off-brand and has been back two or three times.

My buddy had the lifetime on an off brand, after 11 he bought a MOPAR

welcome to the OP by the way

ScamSurvivor

Reaction score
I had already picked up a radiator from Napa and planned to start today, but after these comments I'll take it back and order a Mopar (about $100 more online).

Thanks for the tips, sounds like I may have just saved myself a lot of labor and hassle. I normally order parts on line and have had good luck (alternators, starters, blower motors etc) so hadn't really thought about it. Not really a part I want to take a chance with though :).

I'll look for water pump reviews now too.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had already picked up a radiator from Napa and planned to start today, but after these comments I'll take it back and order a Mopar (about $100 more online).

Thanks for the tips, sounds like I may have just saved myself a lot of labor and hassle. I normally order parts on line and have had good luck (alternators, starters, blower motors etc) so hadn't really thought about it. Not really a part I want to take a chance with though :).

I'll look for water pump reviews now too.

I got a radiator that wasn't a mopar with a lifetime warranty. Have had no problems at all. All my hoses and reservoir and engine is new so I don't know if that has an impact

ScamSurvivor

Reaction score
Thanks teeje, that's good to know.

The Mopar radiator only has a 2yr warranty, which is interesting for a better quality product. I haven't seen any negative reviews though.