2006 CRD Glow Plug Lamp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmj4000

Reaction score
I have been told by the Jeep dealer that the reason my glow plug lamp does not light, is because Jeep does not use a glow plug lamp. The Technician said that the Electronic Throttle Control lamp is what you use to determine when to start the truck.

The owners manual says:
"29. Glow Plug Indicator Light — Diesel Models Only
This light will illuminate when the ignition
switch is first turned to the ON position. Wait
until the light turns off before starting the
vehicle. Refer to “Starting Procedures — Normal
Starting Diesel Engines” in Section 5 of this manual."

The technician says this is wrong, and Jeep does not use the glow plug indicator light. Where can I verify if the technician is correct?

jmj4000

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I bought the shop manuals and they agree with you. If the air temperature is high enough, the glow plug lamp will not light.

So much for the highly trained jeep technicians. Unfortunately there is only one jeep dealer left in town.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
Right, you do not need the glow plugs when it is warm, the compression alone will ignite the mixture. Diesel is not like gas, that requires a spark. When a diesel engine is cold, the compression process may not raise the air to a high enough temperature to ignite the fuel on the compression stroke. Compression in diesel motors have compression ratios that are 14:1 to as high as 25:1, with 20:1 a typical ratio.

Diesel motors are more efficient than gas motors, despite the BLACK smoke (unburned fuel) that they emit, or waste. Clean diesels today are even are more efficient in the combustion process, thus much less black emissions.

Peugeot has made a diesel hybrid engine, that is up to 25 percent more efficient than current gasoline hybrid engines. The EPA will be putting emissions controls on Diesels pretty soon...

The funny thing with diesel, is it was only introduced in passenger cars in the USA because of the OPEC oil embargo in the '70s. Also, since all diesel motors HAVE to be Fuel Injected they were a lot more expensive at the time.

Eight reasons why they were not popular:

1: Diesel engines have much higher compression ratios over a typical gasoline engine, so they tend to be heavier than an equivalent gasoline engine.

2: Diesel engines also tend to be more expensive, and people hate working on them, even TODAY because the smell gets on everything and everyone working on it.

3: Due to their weight and compression ratio, they tend to have lower maximum RPM ranges than gasoline engines. This makes diesel engines high torque rather than high horsepower, and that tends to make diesel cars slow in terms of acceleration.

4: Again, diesel engines must be fuel injected, and in the past fuel injection was expensive and less reliable.

5: Diesel engines tend to produce more smoke and "smell funny." That smoke is simply wasted, unburned fuel though, and has improved much.

6: They are harder to start in cold weather, and, if they contain glow plugs, you have to wait before starting the engine so the glow plugs can heat up the cylinders.

7: Diesel engines are much noisier and tend to vibrate. This has changed in newer passenger vehicles...

8: Diesel fuel is less readily available than gasoline, but as an alternative K-1 Kerosene can be used. On that note, I remember a guy pulled up at a gas station with no Diesel, and pulled up to the Kerosene pump. We all told him, HEY, that's a K-1 pump, he just looked at us ans smiled; filled up his Mercedes and drove off.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
If there's anything I disproved about (modern) diesels with my Liberty CRD... I swear that thing started up each and every cold Detroit winter morning / night. Even when the temps were way below zero, all I had to do was turn the key and that thing turned right over. And I only used the block heater ONE NIGHT to see that it worked.

Much noisier? Well it wasn't quiet, but it wasn't loud either. I actually miss the rattle. The vibrations were kinda.... odd but I quickly got used to them.

retmil46

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember the old joke about driving thru a town so small that if you blinked you'd miss it? Same way with the glow plug light on a CRD - even in cold weather, they're only on for a couple of seconds, and if you're not looking right at the light when you turn the key, you'll completely miss that they even come on at all. In warm weather, all you'll see at most is a quick blip of the light. It's over and done with before the other idiot lights on the dash cycle off after their start-up check.

As far as the technician - my sympathies on having to depend on a dealership with this lack of knowledge. Perhaps a Dodge truck dealership in the area, where they at least know how to service diesels? (or at least know what a diesel is:rolleyes:)

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Remember the old joke about driving thru a town so small that if you blinked you'd miss it? Same way with the glow plug light on a CRD - even in cold weather, they're only on for a couple of seconds, and if you're not looking right at the light when you turn the key, you'll completely miss that they even come on at all. In warm weather, all you'll see at most is a quick blip of the light. It's over and done with before the other idiot lights on the dash cycle off after their start-up check.

As far as the technician - my sympathies on having to depend on a dealership with this lack of knowledge. Perhaps a Dodge truck dealership in the area, where they at least know how to service diesels? (or at least know what a diesel is:rolleyes:)

I believe that was my mistake. Had I originally taken my Jeep to a Dodge dealership that sold big Dodge/Cummins trucks instead of a regular everyday Jeep dealership, it MAY not have turned into such a POS. But later I would learn that my Libby CRD was a FIELD TRIP considering how much, MUCH worse the vehicle that replaced it was.

But now my Grand Cherokee makes me very happy. :D

Oh and to the OP, you should start seeing a glimpse of that glow plug light now. Getting kinda chilly out now. :)

Auberon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Diesels misunderstood

Despite the efforts of Dr Rudolph and the fact that these motors have been running for a hundred years in some cases, I think you seriously do need to find a dealer who has an understanding of diesels. They are the best technology (even in their most "crude" forms) - I would cite the Lanz Bulldog tractor....when talking about long life diesles are the king of the world & we were so lucky to get the VM's and Merc options in the CRD Jeeps.

I am sad to say that I have had to ride Jeep dealers hard over their obvious lack of understanding of diesel motors. Even my personal library has Q&A series on Diesel engines & theory of diesel engine design. Their low rotational speed & high torque at this low speed are their main strength & major contributor to longevity if serviced appropriately even tho we are in the era of hi speed diesels.

I wud add they are heavy not just because they have a high compression ratio .....they need to be strong because of that beautiful combination....low speed means high torque...so shafting must be heavier duty.

I can't stress the love I have for the well maintained and understood diesel.

PLEASE find a good serviceperson!

Best of luck
Auberon

mikey1273

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got my jeep about a month ago. the dealer told me even when we test drove to look for the glow plug light but it was warm when I drove it the first time. even after I went home with it the light is so fast its easy to miss, it has only gotten in to the 40's in the mornings... I seen it flash for a second once or twice.

what you do need to think about is letting the turbo cool when needed before shutting off the engine thats the thing that has been hard for me to adjust to at times.