2005 Key FOB Pin Code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MonsterBob

Reaction score
I have a 2005 KJ and I only got one key for it. The local dealer says they will not program /cut an aftermarket key for me. They want me to pay $280.00 per key. I bought two key fobs from amazon and Ace hardware cut them for me but they could not get them programmed. They did not have the pin code. Batteries Plus also had the same problem.

In the owners manual it says the pin code is on the original invoice, but I do not have that.

Anyone know where I can get the pin code at?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome.
Ya fun.. Time to inquire/ make some calls for a local auto locksmith, they should be able to fix you up at a reasonable price.
There are ways to scan the Jeep for the Pin code electronically, but I'm not that familiar with them.

Matt Wise

Reaction score
[QUOTE="MonsterBob, post: Anyone know where I can get the pin code at?[/QUOTE]

I just had new aftermarket keys cut for my 05 Liberty. I bought the keys online and then had a local locksmith do the programming and cutting the blanks. There is supposed to be some way to mimic the existing keys, but this is unreliable. The locksmith will attempt to take an existing key and try to get the pin code out of it. This did not work on my Liberty. So he called a "friend" at the Jeep dealership who looked up the pin code. Once he had this, the programming was quick and easy. I think you can also register at Mopar.com as the owner. You'll have to send a copy of the title and other identification before they will give you the pin code. PITA, yes, but saves tons of money over the stealership doing the work.
The keys were like $25/pr on Amzn dot com and the mobile locksmith charged $80 for the house call. Tip: If you want the old keys wiped, the locksmith must do this first. I didn't wipe the old keys since if the new keys failed to program, I wanted to still be able to drive.

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When i tried a few months ago, FCA said i had to go to the dealer for the code. I already had a row with the jerk service guy, and he still insists on a 90 buck program charge.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
From what I understand you need two good working keys to program a third. I tried the process in the service manual and it didn't work for me. The grind on the third key wouldn't have worked in my door or ignition anyway. I just wanted to use it as an unlock fob so I could leave it locked and running at the post office. CRDs need a couple minutes spindown before shutoff which is annoying for a one minute run-in.

With only one key you need reprogramming at the dealer and they try to sell the ignition, keys, doorlock, and labor as a package. The dealer dude had a creepy grin on his face when he told me that. It seems like a tech savvy locksmith would have the ability to get a second key working for you.