2005 crd thermostat upgrade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MiloHunter

Reaction score
Any ideas on running a 190 degree thermostat? Mines crapping out and am looking for good replacement. Thanks in advance for any input.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums.
I'd recommend using the Mopar replacement thermostat only & it's part # 05142601AA. (hopefully it's still available?)
Gasket is: 05066806AA
The 05 CRD thermostat & complete parts fiche/ diagrams is here from page 90: http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/05kj_PARTS_FICHE.pdf
I'll move this to the CRD section.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Look into TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK's aftermarket thermostat housing which allows thermostats to be swapped without buying the $150 oem thermostat housing. There's also a modification to the original housing that needs a couple of turned parts and some welding.

I don't remember what temp thermostat works best for the CRD but 190 seems low.

mrhemi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been running both of my CRD's with the 203 deg.f thermostats supplied with the HDS 001 aftermarket housings. One of them has over 120000 miles with that in it. Works great from sub-zero to 100 plus temps. You can also eliminate the stupid viscous heater when you utilize the higher temperature.

MiloHunter

Reaction score
I have been running both of my CRD's with the 203 deg.f thermostats supplied with the HDS 001 aftermarket housings. One of them has over 120000 miles with that in it. Works great from sub-zero to 100 plus temps. You can also eliminate the stupid viscous heater when you utilize the higher temperature.
Where can I get one?

MiloHunter

Reaction score
Look into TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK's aftermarket thermostat housing which allows thermostats to be swapped without buying the $150 oem thermostat housing. There's also a modification to the original housing that needs a couple of turned parts and some welding.

I don't remember what temp thermostat works best for the CRD but 190 seems low.
Thanks for the info!

JMichael2006

Reaction score
The thermostat on my 06 CRD failed at 85K, but failed open so I installed a 192+ from a 1983 Renault Alliance. They go inside the upper hose and still working perfectly at 240K. I removed the OEM units guts when I replaced the timing belt (2nd) at 100K. I will go with TDF's unit next belt go-round because I plan on doing a bunch of other upgrades.

MiloHunter

Reaction score
Where do I contact this company?

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK is on LOSTJEEPS forum mostly but he's here as well so try giving him a PM or email.

sleazy rider

Retired moto tech and gearhead
Reaction score
Any idea how to get ahold of TURBO-DIESEL FREAK ?

Last seen July 7,2022. Try start a conversation and see if he responds.

Googling the part name, this is found on Google.

At the bottom of the ad is this:

INTERESTED LIBERTY CRD OWNERS SHOULD REPLY DIRECTLY TO MY E-MAIL ADDRESS, AND NOT THROUGH THE KIJIJI E-MAILING SYSTEM. KIJIJI LIMITS THE LENGTH OF MY LETTERS AND THE NUMBER OF PHOTOGRAPHS I CAN SEND AS ATTACHMENTS. MY E-MAIL ADDRESS IS [email protected].

TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK

MAKER OF CRD SERVICEABLE THERMOSTAT ASSEMBLIES
Reaction score
Any ideas on running a 190 degree thermostat? Mines crapping out and am looking for good replacement. Thanks in advance for any input.

The thermostat on my 06 CRD failed at 85K, but failed open so I installed a 192+ from a 1983 Renault Alliance. They go inside the upper hose and still working perfectly at 240K. I removed the OEM units guts when I replaced the timing belt (2nd) at 100K. I will go with TDF's unit next belt go-round because I plan on doing a bunch of other upgrades.

JMichael2006:

There are a couple of more reasons why using the inline thermostat is a bad idea for your CRD engine besides the shutdown of the cooling system bypass circuit, which you did address when you gutted the O.E. thermostat. The bypass circuit shutdown is the greatest concern, so thank you for doing this. However, there is now an increased risk of an engine overheat event occurring.

Please keep monitoring your engine's operating temperature with a Torque Pro App on your smart phone or use an OBDII reader; anything that can actually get an engine operating temperature in degrees rather than relying on the O.E. temperature gauge which is notoriously inaccurate and non-linear.

Best regards,

TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK

TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK

Reaction score

Hello, MiloHunter:

The current school of though regarding engine operating temperatures is the hotter you can safely run your engine, the more powerful and efficient it is capable of being. 190 degrees is... O.K., but the 203 degrees offered by the Hot Diesel Solutions Model 001 engine thermostat assembly is considerably better.

TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK

Reaction score
To all of the CRD owners on this forum:

My apologies for those members on this forum looking for me to upgrade their CRD engines.

I am a 1-man company with a lot of family obligations right now, so it is all that I can do to monitor Facebook and LOSTJEEPS.com for people interested in my product. Traditionally, LOSTJEEPS.com was by far the larger forum for CRD owners; at least it seems like it to me so that is why I focused my attention on it. With the increased CRD owner activity on JEEPKJ.com it looks like I will be checking in from time to time.

But do not rely on me to monitor this forum for Model 001 inquiries; please reach out to me by sending me an e-mail to [email protected]. In your e-mail message PLEASE include your country of residence and a postal code or ZIP code so I can send you a detailed information letter that has the correct Model 001 thermostat pricing and a reasonably accurate shipping calculation.

My family life has just gotten significantly more busy because I now have to take more time to focus on my ailing Mother. By reaching out to me via e-mail with the above requested information you reduce my workload and perhaps free up time to actually get thermostat assemblies completed.

Best regards,

TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK

TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK

Reaction score

Last seen July 7,2022. Try start a conversation and see if he responds.

Googling the part name, this is found on Google.

At the bottom of the ad is this:

INTERESTED LIBERTY CRD OWNERS SHOULD REPLY DIRECTLY TO MY E-MAIL ADDRESS, AND NOT THROUGH THE KIJIJI E-MAILING SYSTEM. KIJIJI LIMITS THE LENGTH OF MY LETTERS AND THE NUMBER OF PHOTOGRAPHS I CAN SEND AS ATTACHMENTS. MY E-MAIL ADDRESS IS [email protected].

Yes indeed, ****** rider:

The KIJIJI advertisement you posted is my advertisement. For more information on the H.D.S. Model 001 thermostat, e-mail me at [email protected].

Best regards,

TRUBO-DIESEL-FREAK

MiloHunter

Reaction score
Hello, MiloHunter:

The current school of though regarding engine operating temperatures is the hotter you can safely run your engine, the more powerful and efficient it is capable of being. 190 degrees is... O.K., but the 203 degrees offered by the Hot Diesel Solutions Model 001 engine thermostat assembly is considerably better.
Are these available? If so how much? Thanks for any help.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Check out my Feb 7, 2020 post #57 on the "Exasperated KJ owner!....." thread. I posted drawings for modifying the oem thermostat housing to accept normal thermostats. There's lathework and welding involved.

Turbo-diesel-freak's thermostat is the best way to go. If you have one ordered it'll eventually show up. I thought mine wasn't ever going to show but it did.

Latest posts

Members online