2005 Cherokee KJ Steering Shaft Rattle Found Source

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ludi Neethling

Reaction score
Hi Everybody. I'm from South Africa, therefore RHD.

2005 Jeep Cherokee (Liberty) KJ CRD Steering Intermediate Shaft Rattle Cause Identified.

Please refer to the attached picture.
The lower Intermediate Shaft slides in a sheath to accomodate, (I assume) up and down movement. Due to play (very little) between the sheath and shaft this results in a rattling noise which you can also feel through the steering wheel. I had to take the intermediate arm (upper and lower) apart in order to track down this irritating rattle when you drive off road and over corrugated surfaces.

Has anybody tried to rectify this by inserting Moly Grease (fifth wheel grease) into the shaft and if so how did you do it. It appears that the shaft cannot be dismantled.

Any feedback would really be appreciated.

I still love my Jeep to bits

Attachments

• Steering Shaft Rattle Cause.jpg
    Steering Shaft Rattle Cause.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 35

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, I have that same rattle but never considered the steering shaft. Just assumed it was suspension related.

I also await input from others :waytogo:

Bob

Ludi Neethling

Reaction score
Good day Everyone,

Arkie and WhitbyKJ shared their ideas on LOST JEEPS. Either weld the two shafts together or drill a hole through the outer shaft and fit a "lock nut and bolt" setup to tighten the shafts together.

I want to understand why the setup was made like this in the first place. Is it to accommodate the adjustable steering column? If so I will be happy to permanently lock the column on my preferred angle and lock the two shafts as recommended.

Any input would be appreciated.

Ludi Neethling

Reaction score
Sorted: steering shaft rattle

Went to a scrap yard, got a 2nd hand steering shaft, pulled the rubber plug at the bottom of the shaft, filled with moly grease, put plug back, noise gone.

Eventually I think I will bolt/weld the shafts together. It seems the only reason for this setup is to accomodate the adjustable steering column. I never use this and would rather be rattle free.

libertybob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Intermediate steering shaft

Be careful about welding or putting a bolt in the steering shaft. On some vehicles the design is for the intermediate shaft to collapse in a collision as part of the safety equipment. Collapsing steering columns are meant to keep the steering column from spearing the driver in the chest. Not sure about Jeep Liberty steering columns though but check it out before welding or using a bolt. Collapsing steering shafts often have a plastic sleeve between the tube and solid inner shaft so when the sleeve fails, the shaft rattles.