2004 transmission problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

guitarzen67

Reaction score
Good day all,
I have a 2004 Liberty, no problems what so ever since I bought her, but now something is happening, I fear the worst.
1) When driving on the main highway, at a constant speed, the tach will rev up like the ****** switched to hi,hi gear, then back to normal and the engine light comes on for a day or so..

2) If I'm driving in the mornings on local roads, when I'm coming to a stop it wants to keep pulling; while my foot is on the brake that is. and again, the engine light comes on.

so yes, I think I'm having my first problems with her. Do any of you have any ideas, suggestions or any help that you could throw my way?

Thanks,

Bob

Jeepin05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I would at least start with looking up the error code it keeps throwing. You can do this in your driveway with a 2004:
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25622

I wish I could help more, but I've read a few other stories where the KJ is pulling at a stop. Don't remember the exact symptons/solution but it would be worth a search.

guitarzen67

Reaction score
Thanks gents,
I'm heading out to Auto-zone to let them hook it up... I will report back to what is found... Thanks for the replies

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmmm, sounds like torque converter clutch to me. not sure what would cause it to act up, but those symptoms specifically sound like it keeps "unlocking" while cruising hwy, and it won't unlock when stopping....maybe a bad solenoid or electrical connection to transmission?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Your codes can be read through digital display odometer.
Without starting Jeep turn Key-
On-Off-On-OFF -ON and leave it in the on position.
Post back the CE codes.
It may be something simple, if it was that bad the transmission light would be on too. The ****** codes can be read by dealer.

guitarzen67

Reaction score
Ok, found out what it is. PO123 "Throttle position sensor". The fella said that he has has several 'Jeeps' come in with this code...
Anyone have a clue to what this repair might involve?(Cheers)

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably a replacement of the throttle position sensor.

This should be easy to replace. I believe it's on the throttle body. Should be about a $50 part.

I'd be real sure that's what your problem is before you start throwing parts at it though. Let a few more experts weigh in on this thread before you run out and spend any money.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
On the drivers side of the throttle body are located two torx bit connected pieces with electrical sensors. the top one is the TPS and the bottom one is the IAC.
Easy to remove but the TPS has alignment marks and you will need to make sure that the throttle slot pin fits again into the TPS . (verticle position)
When they are off you should clean both at the same time as well as spray the opening ports into the throttle body with a throttle body cleaner as well. Carbon builds up in there so get it all cleaned up...
I would try cleaning first before replacing the TPS. Mine was real corboned/dirty.
At the bottom of the TPS is a throttle slot and it has to be re-aligned when re-installing, you will see what I am talking about when u remove it..not hard.
In this photo the Yellowish top connector is for The TPS.
The IAC is currently removed and am about to clean inside the housing/ports.
34766[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• IAC7.jpg
    IAC7.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the drivers side of the throttle body are located two torx bit connected pieces with electrical sensors. the top one is the TPS and the bottom one is the IAC.
Easy to remove but the TPS has alignment marks and you will need to make sure that the throttle slot pin fits again into the TPS . (verticle position)
When they are off you should clean both at the same time as well as spray the opening ports into the throttle body with a throttle body cleaner as well. Carbon builds up in there so get it all cleaned up...
I would try cleaning first before replacing the TPS. Mine was real corboned/dirty.
At the bottom of the TPS is a throttle slot and it has to be re-aligned when re-installing, you will see what I am talking about when u remove it..not hard.
In this photo the Yellowish top connector is for The TPS.
The IAC is currently removed and am about to clean inside the housing/ports.
34769[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

isn't it a NO NO to use carb clearner on a trottle body? Won't that just fubar all the sensors?

Attachments

• IAC7.jpg
    IAC7.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 0

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
In the above photos the IAC sensor is removed.
I was using small amount of carb cleaner on the Ports, which remove the carbon better.
Then use compressed air to dry it out.
Yes use (sensor safe) throttle body cleaner on the actual sensors and intake etc.

Last edited:

Alejandro

Reaction score
I am experiencing very similar symptoms and ordered a new TPS based on the code as well. If that solves my problems I will post to note that that was the cause for future reference, despite me resurrecting a thread. :p

Alejandro

Reaction score
I cleaned, and replaced the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor). My Jeep has been working perfect ever since. No shifting problems, RPM jumps or slumps or a sense of discomfort at stops. I recommend this as a solution.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exact same thing happened to my Jeep. Torque was unlocking on the highway and it pulled hard at stops.

New TPS fixed the problem.

Members online

No members online now.