2004 KJ 2.4L Sport

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AZBuman

Reaction score
Hello all,

New member here so forgive me if these have all been answered before. I did a search for what I was looking for but didn't find the answers so here it goes...I am re-taking possession of a 2004 KJ 4x4 2.4L Sport. It is in bone stock configuration. I say re-take because I bought it brand new back in 2004 and later my mom took it over when I was stationed over seas. Since then I got married had kids and life went on. Now I am in a position to help my mom, I am giving here a paid off sedan and she is giving me back the KJ. As it sits it has 146,*** miles on it, about 95% is pavement miles and not a single add on. She has had the oil changed every 3,000 miles, she is very religious about that, all the fluids changed on time, the timing belts replaced, the radiator has been replaced and the fan. I believe that is it. It helps her brother is a mechanic and he has done all the work on it. So I can say I pretty much know all the history of this KJ.

My questions are this: How reliable is the 2.4L of that year? I won't be towing anything more than small trailer or kayaks. Also what do people think of the rocky road outfitters budget lifts? I have to keep this as a daily driver for at least the next few years before I get crazy with it. I want to add some all-terrain tires because I do a lot outdoor stuff besides just four-wheeling. I train and hunt drahthaars so it will be used to transport them to training days and hunting spots.

So really just looking for answers on the reliability of the engine and the budget lift kits. Thanks in advance for everyone's help. If I posted in the wrong spot I apologize in advance. Cheers!

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

2nd, thanks for you service. I know some guys don't like to hear that, but Thanks anyway.

Can't help you with the 2.4l info. But in general, RRO does not have a very good reputation for either quality or customer service. And spacer lifts in general are not a good option for lifting. Budget kits are not cheaper in the long run, look into JBAs website, there may be a bit of sticker shock initially, but that's the best way to go.

http://jeepinbyal.com/

Others will chime in with more info soon.

Again, welcome aboard and good on you for helping out you mom:happy160:

Last edited:

AZBuman

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up on all of that and thank you for your support also for my service.

I will look into that site you gave me. I have time before I have to run out and get a lift so I can save up what I need in order to get quality. Again thanks for the heads up.

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I can't remember reading anything about the 2.4L when I was shopping around other than the, "Make sure the timing belt was changed at the right intervals". :shrug:

Give it a good once over with fluids and a tune up, and drive it. :gr_grin:

AZBuman

Reaction score
Nullptr-I think that's going to be my course of action. I know my mom has taken excellent care of the vehicle. My only worry is putting bigger tires on it and over-working the engine. But honestly I think that just putting some a/t tires with no lift will pretty much get me anywhere I need to go. And maybe later down the road I can tear it apart and rebuild it into a more aggressive off-roading machine. Thanks all, and its been my privilege to serve.