2004 Jeep Liberty “Jessie”

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Noclutch

Modern DIY
Reaction score
Did some work but didn’t have phone at the moment and wasn’t able to take pictures

Jessie never been a rear diff kicker but I didn’t have confidence in the fluid that was in the rear diff so I went ahead and changed the rear diff fluid and gasket. The choice of rear diff fluid I used was Royal Purple 75w90 I have had great results using it on the other 2 KJs as for the the gasket I used a Victor Reinz Gasket (71-14807-00). The fluid wasn’t darkened but did seem to have a high velocity and there was no metal shavings I didn’t bother to measure how much I taken out, I really dislike working with differential fluid plus I had to scrap off the old silicon gasket mess that was there After the fluid change to my surprise she was pushing so much better I couldn’t keep my foot of the gas, even putting her into gear got smoother.

I even did a quick little paint job since I had some extra paint lying around.

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've used royal purple gear oil for a long time, about 5 years ago switched to redline. I run a heavier weight since I tow weekly, some weeks daily.

You will not win a tommudd approved sticker using synthetic though, I still sleep fine at night in the non approved club ;)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I've used royal purple gear oil for a long time, about 5 years ago switched to redline. I run a heavier weight since I tow weekly, some weeks daily.

You will not win a tommudd approved sticker using synthetic though, I still sleep fine at night in the non approved club ;)
No because syn does not work well if diffs, ask any gear manufacturer , they all recommend good old dino
there is no club LOL

Noclutch

Modern DIY
Reaction score
Well noted, I will keep this in mind when changing front diff fluid and for future projects. I’ll run with the Royal Purple for a while but will change it over to 80w140 non-syn as I like to keep my foot on the gas. Hard.

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
The First Rule of Non Approved Club is to Non-Approve the Club.

Noclutch

Modern DIY
Reaction score
Well the radiator sprung a leak today. I left the car running while inside the store real quick and while walking back I noticed the coolant pouring, I thought it could of possibly been the lower radiator house but after quickly rushing home and doing further inspecting I saw that it was the radiator. I changed the radiator on the 07 KJ that’s almost 5 years ago I’m guessing it’s the same process. Radiator always just been a radiator to me was just going to go to the part store and pick one up, what coolant is club approved though ;)

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
proper hoat coolant designed for both metals of the iron block and aluminum heads! :)

"HOAT or Zerex G-05 coolant only for our Jeeps"
-libertytc

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Well the radiator sprung a leak today. I left the car running while inside the store real quick and while walking back I noticed the coolant pouring, I thought it could of possibly been the lower radiator house but after quickly rushing home and doing further inspecting I saw that it was the radiator. I changed the radiator on the 07 KJ that’s almost 5 years ago I’m guessing it’s the same process. Radiator always just been a radiator to me was just going to go to the part store and pick one up, what coolant is club approved though ;)
A radiator is not just a radiator
many are so cheap they last about as long as it takes to install one
My buddy a few years back had his OEM one go bad, got one at one of those zone type places with lifetime warranty 10 replaced in a years time he finally got smart and bought a good one
at the time he worked all over the place so was changing them out side in snow, rain, parking lots etc, not fun
While you are in there change thermostat with a MOPAR one , check water pump, replace hoses as well
and YES its not only " club approved " its MOPAR approved , that is HOAT

Noclutch

Modern DIY
Reaction score
@tommudd it looks like the radiator has been previously changed from the oem one this makes me question more about the jeeps past and if it was involved in any kid of fender bender but anyways I like to keep my foot on the gas and keeping the car cool is an important factor to that. I’ll definitely will look into a mopar radiator see if I can get it for a good price also the bleeder valve seems to be leaking a little I’ll take pictures soon might have to address that also

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
@tommudd it looks like the radiator has been previously changed from the oem one this makes me question more about the jeeps past and if it was involved in any kid of fender bender but anyways I like to keep my foot on the gas and keeping the car cool is an important factor to that. I’ll definitely will look into a mopar radiator see if I can get it for a good price also the bleeder valve seems to be leaking a little I’ll take pictures soon might have to address that also
Some of the aluminum radiators seems to be doing as well

Noclutch

Modern DIY
Reaction score
Some of the aluminum radiators seems to be doing as well
I’m looking at a few aluminum radiators online right now I want to find one that will be worth the wait, if you or any members know any good suggestions I’ll kindly appreciate that.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m looking at a few aluminum radiators online right now I want to find one that will be worth the wait, if you or any members know any good suggestions I’ll kindly appreciate that.
Shop Summit Racing or Jegs

Noclutch

Modern DIY
Reaction score
Shop Summit Racing or Jegs
I checked both and talked to the support chat but they don’t seem to carry any. Part # WN2481 is available on eBay but I’m not sure I also see one on the CHR Racing website but less sure on that one

Noclutch

Modern DIY
Reaction score
Still have a leaky radiator but I’m going to shop around for one today and put it in I have a deadline now. My recall appointment is set for November 2nd. I’ll be getting the rear lower control arms inspected and replaced, well they need no inspection they sound terrible can’t stop and go without them getting banged up, the rear upper control arm was replaced courtesy of the previous owner (i need to see if I can find a part number on it) and while it’s there get the hitch recall done also since the 04 is hitch-less. Can’t wait to see how she rides after and the lady that sets the appointment over the phone said according to our information your recalls are done on the 03 kj and I was like nope this another one 04!

Reactions: klc

Noclutch

Modern DIY
Reaction score
Hey been a little busy but I finally got around to working on Jessie. I changed the radiator with an Agility radiator from rockauto just to get her moving. I swapped the upper and lower radiator hoses from the 07 kj since it’s been sitting and I don’t know when it’ll be running again. I wanted to address the rack and pinion and the rack bushings but that came to a halt when I discovered dripping from a freeze plug on passenger side of engine block. Tryna gather as much info as I can on replacing said freeze plug to see if I’m capable of it myself.

Noclutch

Modern DIY
Reaction score
Well I was incorrect and the engine I have in the 07 KJ will not be compatible to the 04 KJ. I was too excited and looked at the pcms to quick without realizing it at first. Today unfortunately I had to scrap the 04 Kj do to space issues. It was sad to let her go but I had a lot of fun while it last it. I don’t regret lending her to my uncle, I just wish we could have spend more time together. I did remove many parts that I installed. I intend to sell them or use them on future projects. An elderly couple picked up the KJ today I hope they use every part they can and make good use of her. I’ll always remember burning your tire. I’ll miss you Jessica…

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online