2003 Renegade Step Bars

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrgreen

Reaction score
Hi there:

I have some rusted step bars for my 2003 renegade, and am looking for some options for repair/replacement.

Does anyone have tips on where to look for repair? Dumb question - but what is the finish called? I've called a wheel shop, but wasn't sure what kind of finish it is.

The dealer wanted $700 each for them! Any ideas on where else to look for replacements?

Thanks!

southern comfort

Reaction score
I too have a 2003 renegade with rust on the step bars. I plan on trying on trying out some new skills. I plan on filling the rust, sanding smooth, repainting with Bright Silver Metali (code PS2) and then clear coat. If it turns out really bad, then I will just take them off and drive without any step bars.

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can always buy rock rails instead. way cheaper then 700 a piece.

No matter which ones you pick will be a better choice then step rails.

mrgreen

Reaction score
Now might be a good time to fess up that this truck may be a bit of a "mall crawler". And I'm not going to lie, I don't know the difference between step bars and rock rails :)

As I'm sure you can guess, I'm not a ********* off-roader. <braces for the mocking> :)

I would like something to help the little people get into the truck - and the style is very important to me.

Any tips on where to look for rock rails that work well on this truck?

mrgreen

Reaction score
@southern comfort I was thinking about that too. I did a quick repair of one of the areas - and it looked ok. I might give it a full go too.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Now might be a good time to fess up that this truck may be a bit of a "mall crawler". And I'm not going to lie, I don't know the difference between step bars and rock rails :)

As I'm sure you can guess, I'm not a ********* off-roader. <braces for the mocking> :)

I would like something to help the little people get into the truck - and the style is very important to me.

Any tips on where to look for rock rails that work well on this truck?

:happy175::happy175::happy175:
Well at least you are honest about it!:waytogo:

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
, I don't know the difference between step bars and rock rails :)

Step bars help get people in ... Rock rails help keep rocks out (ie from crushing your rocker panels etc.)

Doesn't sound like you are in the market for rails...

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Step bars help get people in ... Rock rails help keep rocks out (ie from crushing your rocker panels etc.)

Doesn't sound like you are in the market for rails...

Ah you are sort of right
Rock rails make great steps as well
My 80 year old Mother who has had both knees replaced uses my rock rails as a step to get in and out of mine. So they are a step and a rock rail
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

mrgreen

Reaction score
Ah you are sort of right
Rock rails make great steps as well
My 80 year old Mother who has had both knees replaced uses my rock rails as a step to get in and out of mine. So they are a step and a rock rail

Looks like exactly what I'm looking for - and they look great. I'll do some more looking around for rock rails...

Thanks!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes others are available
I've had AllJs Boulder Bars on mine for a short time,...... sold them
I've help mount two sets from the place in Michigan ( name with held) they may figure out how to make brackets some day
And I have Rock Lizard which for me work and are the best

kaykay71110

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What J said!

Just added weight for a "cool" rugged off road look.

Better off getting real sliders if you're serious about off roading!

like he said!!! I got them on mine and rock sliders look way better then steps unless you gonna go with electronic running boards but then you have to watch it when you go muddin! but I have saw running boards online for like $500 - $600 and at chux trucks!
Heres some places I looked
electronic running boards
AMP Research | Official Authorized Shipping Center™ - ElectricStep®

running boards
Jeep Liberty Running Boards - Wheel to Wheel, Aluminum & Black Running Boards for Liberty - 2002 - 2009
Running Boards for Jeep Liberty
Jeep Liberty Running Boards - JCWhitney
Running Boards

Last edited:

TheQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of chrome ones just sitting in my garage...looking for a new home!!! Im wanting rock sliders instead!!! Anybody interested let me know!

kaykay71110

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ah you are sort of right
rock rails make great steps as well
my 80 year old mother who has had both knees replaced uses my rock rails as a step to get in and out of mine. So they are a step and a rock rail

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

nice nice nice is all i can say to this jeep beautiful