2003 Liberty Knocking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

03jeephawks

Reaction score
Alright fellow jeepers. I'm new to this and ran across a problem that my friend and I can't figure out. Had some knocking issues. Tore down the motor til we just had the heads on with the timing chain cover off. First thing we found was a bad tensioner and replaced it. Tore down the heads and found a broke valve spring and replaced that and put everything back together. Started it up still knocking. Took valve covers off and had a couple lifters that were ceased up and replaced them and yet it still has a knock coming up front by the passenger side. Any ideas on what this could be???? We did look at all the cylinders with the heads off and there didn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary. Jeep didn't have any gunk build up in the motor at all and it's got right around 200000 miles on it.

kejobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's a low deep knocking, I would assume it would be the rod bearings. Lifters and such usually make a ticking sound.

03jeephawks

Reaction score
Well from what my buddy said it's not really a knock more of a tick/metal tapping off of something on the top side. Plan on running some seafoam thru it for a day and see what happens. Maybe we got some dust or other partials that need cleaned out.

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Need to replace all the lash lifters. Then get the Ford retainer clips to stop future ticking.
You must be registered for see images

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

03jeephawks

Reaction score
Well little late for a reply but it's low end noise. We're not going to split the block apart to find out the issue. Instead we're going to do a 351 swap with C6 transmission. I'll keep everyone posted on how it comes along and show pics of final result.

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well little late for a reply but it's low end noise. We're not going to split the block apart to find out the issue. Instead we're going to do a 351 swap with C6 transmission. I'll keep everyone posted on how it comes along and show pics of final result.

(popcorn)

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We're gona want deets big time when its done or you Have a chance to update us

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

LOL.. OK.. good luck, seriously. But .. lol.. oh man.. might as well gut the thing and just use the chassis and put the rest of a 1974 Chevy K10 in there.

03jeephawks

Reaction score
Its finally completed. We broke in the motor last night after I get a video and everything I'll figure out how to post it on here. Roughly 375 HP 440 torque. Ended up with a 408 stroker in it. Motor mounts lined up, front driveshaft off the C6 was perfect length for the front just had to change yolk. Power steering line screwed right in to the old ford pump. Only thing we had to get made was a rear driveshaft. Using stock shifter did some trimming for transfer case shifter for the C6 inside but nothing major. In a couple days it's going to the exhaust shop. Pillar gauges for my water temp and oil pressure and had to mount a new Tach. More room in the engine bay than the old V6 that was in it.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure to post pictures when you can. It will be awesome to see how the engine fits in the liberties engine compartment.

Latest posts

Members online