2003 lib 4x4 noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Whitee

Reaction score
I have a 2003 liberty that makes a rattling noise when I put it in drive or reverse. it goes away when I start driving. I just had a new engine installed about 500 miles ago?? any thoughts on what this could be? :shrug:
thanks

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it like a 2-3 second buzz when you shift into gear and does it actually keep on making the noise until you drive away? Does it come back when you come to a complete stop.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
could be the solenoids in the ****** working. that happens to me on cold starts. it's more of a buzzing sound than a rattling sound.

Last edited:

Whitee

Reaction score
I know the sound the solenoid makes, I think a ****** bolt might be loose because when I accelerate it goes away. like a bolt in a tin can rattling real fast...

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Cats will rattle as well sitting still just idling, when cold tap on them to see if they maybe loose inside

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Once it get cold or colder out, I always let the jeep warm up 1/4 + on the temp gauge or around 150F before moving it.
This normally takes about 4 minutes or so of run time and if I am sitting in jeep while allowing it to warm, I place the trans in neutral.
I think my cats rattle quite a bit when cold but i ignore it, it is a Jeep thing.
I am afraid to bang on my cats, I think I would loosen more rusty stuff in there =eek.
Rattling all stops once its driven and it's fully warmed up.
After driving a while then with engine still on in Neutral, park brake on, level ground, I think it is also a good idea to check the trans fluid level once a week as well.

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I would not be especially hopeful if it is the cats. Besides the obvious problem inside caused by deterioration, they can oftentimes send particles downstream into your muffler. This can plug the muffler and cause overheating, poor mileage and actually strangle the engine leaving you stranded.
Mark