2003 KJ 3.7 engine replacement

Discussion in 'How To' started by Steven Renich, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Steven Renich

Steven Renich New Member

I am replacing the engine on my 2003 Liberty. It is the 3.7. I started on it today and got the wiring and the intake off of the engine. I have a couple of questions.

1) Lifting:
    What is a good point to attach a chain in the back of the engine? In the front, there are mounting holes for the alternator and AC compressor. These are larger and on either side. I the back all I see is the small bolt holes for the intake.

2) Fuel line:
    The repair manual makes a point of saying that the fuel line does not need to be disconnected "NOTE: It is not necessary to release the quick connect fitting from the fuel supply line for engine removal." (emphasis original)
    Is there a reason not to disconnect this line? Is there a tool needed?

2. Billwill

Billwill Full Access Member

What year is the donor engine?

You have to be aware that Tone Rings may have to be replaced at the same time.

I believe that 2002, 2003 and 2004 motors may be fitted no problem but if you want to fit 2005 upwards there is a problem.

I will leave this to the 3.7 gasser experts who will give you other advice as well.;)

3. Steven Renich

Steven Renich New Member

BillWill - Good point about the tone rings.

I should have mentioned that I have done some basic research including getting the factory service manual and reading TwoBobsKJ's engine swap thread (lots of good jnfo there).

I have also read conflicting reports of which model/year has which computer. For the KJ I have read that all 04 models have the JTEC, and I also read that later 04 models switched to NGC. I am planning on using a junkyard engine and checking which computer the car has. I think that all 3.7's with the JTEC have a three plug PCM and a TCM. The NGC has a four plug PCM and no TCM (the transmission function is done in the PCM). Can anyone verify or correct this?