2003 KJ 3.7 engine replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steven Renich

Reaction score
I am replacing the engine on my 2003 Liberty. It is the 3.7. I started on it today and got the wiring and the intake off of the engine. I have a couple of questions.

1) Lifting:
What is a good point to attach a chain in the back of the engine? In the front, there are mounting holes for the alternator and AC compressor. These are larger and on either side. I the back all I see is the small bolt holes for the intake.

2) Fuel line:
The repair manual makes a point of saying that the fuel line does not need to be disconnected "NOTE: It is not necessary to release the quick connect fitting from the fuel supply line for engine removal." (emphasis original)
Is there a reason not to disconnect this line? Is there a tool needed?

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year is the donor engine?

You have to be aware that Tone Rings may have to be replaced at the same time.

I believe that 2002, 2003 and 2004 motors may be fitted no problem but if you want to fit 2005 upwards there is a problem.

I will leave this to the 3.7 gasser experts who will give you other advice as well.;)

Steven Renich

Reaction score
BillWill - Good point about the tone rings.

I should have mentioned that I have done some basic research including getting the factory service manual and reading TwoBobsKJ's engine swap thread (lots of good jnfo there).

I have also read conflicting reports of which model/year has which computer. For the KJ I have read that all 04 models have the JTEC, and I also read that later 04 models switched to NGC. I am planning on using a junkyard engine and checking which computer the car has. I think that all 3.7's with the JTEC have a three plug PCM and a TCM. The NGC has a four plug PCM and no TCM (the transmission function is done in the PCM). Can anyone verify or correct this?

Steven Renich

Reaction score
Update:

I finally got back to my project Jeep last week. I got a replacement engine from the local junk yard and it is in and running.

Lift points in the back are easy. Just remove the studs used for the "Y" ground strap at the back of each head. It has a small diameter stud for the ground strap, but the part that goes into the head is larger.

Now there are only about a dozen major things that need to be fixed to get this tagged and back on the road! I was told that the Liberty sat for almost a year before I got it, so there are a lot of normal things that need to be fixed.

In addition, it has manual windows and locks and the drivers window crank is broken. I am replacing it with power windows and possibly power locks. If anyone is interested in the details, say so and I will try to post something on the forum.

Latest posts

Members online