2003 Jeep Liberty wrecked - need advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

abburns

Reaction score
My son wrecked his car. No significant injuries, he is just a little sore. No air bags deployed. One wheel went off the shoulder and he lost control and hit a ditch and the lower front got pushed in by the road.

The front tie rods, steering knuckles, cross member, swap bar, radiator core support, a/c condenser, grill, lower valence are destroyed.

I am debating on how to proceed. I am very capable mechanically and can do body work. I am not sure if I should turn it into insurance or try to fix it myself. The car is in very good shape and only has about 120,000 miles. I don't think getting good deals on parts is a problem. The part I am not sure about is now to replace the radiator core support....never taken something apart like that.

What do you guys think...is it worth fixing?

You must be registered for see images attach

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the accident, glad your son will be ok.
There is substantial front end damage, and often it is easier & cheaper to find another.
Even though I am not a bodyman, the core support plays an integral role, along with other components not being bent & positioned correctly for proper alignments again.
Others may comment on uni body structural repairs, but I am wondering if a frame jig & measurements may also be necessary.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be getting an insurance check, then looking to buy a straight specimen with a bad drivetrain and do the transplant thing. That will never be right.

Bob

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly... that is now a donor vehicle.

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear your son is ok first and foremost. I would almost bet you have a tweaked uni-body, but is it worth fixing? Could be, me and my girl friend 'totaled' her Vue according to the insurance company from the estimate we put together at her step-dads body shop. The right side of the uni-body was pushed back by about an inch and when I put it on my alignment rack it wouldn't be as perfect as I'd like it to be, but other than that the body panels went back on fine for the most part. We drove it like that for about a year before buying our Fusion we have now.

My best suggestion, see if a shop with a frame jig can see how tweaked the uni-body is then go from there, I wouldn't make a final decision yet.

Hockeygoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be getting an insurance check, then looking to buy a straight specimen with a bad drivetrain and do the transplant thing. That will never be right.

Bob

This. There are a lot Liberties needing engines/transmissions that can be bought for cheap.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
It can be repaired
BUT not in a home garage
needs a frame rack etc and then some extra massaging
I'd do what has been suggested find another with bad engine
or just start over, I wouldn't repair it

southernwake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear your son is ok. That's the most important thing.

With regards to the damaged core support. You could possibly salvage it. I had a similar issue with a Mustang I had years ago. A good buddy of mine, who did bodywork for a living, and I were able to find a donor mustang that had been hit in the rear. The core support on mine had taken the damage and the rest of the frame ( where the fenders mount and cover) was fine. We drilled out all the spot welds and removed the damaged core support and then did the same thing on the donor car and swapped in the undamaged core support into my car and spot welded it back in and then ground everything smooth and painted it. It was a tedious task without a doubt. We had to make sure we didnt damage the donor core support in the process of removing it. There are some core supports on ebay as well, so you wouldnt have to find a donor car necessarily to do it. It can be done but it is something you may want to weigh out due to how labor intensive it is.

Good luck with your decision.
Andrew

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like the KJ took a terrible beating and you have already had good advice. Glad no one is hurt.

Dave

abburns

Reaction score
The insurance company totaled it. I bought it back and will pull the engine and Trans and go from there.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I take it "Go from there" now = trying to find another KJ with a blown engine or transmission that someone wants to get rid of cheap, $1500 lets say.
Then the transfers begins! :gr_grin: