2003 jeep liberty will not start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

inuk5huk

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I am fairly new to this forum and jeep vehicles. I recently ran into a problem with my Jeep 2003 Jeep Liberty Limited Edition. The other morning it wouldn't start. I turned it on via cables from another vehicle. Now I tried to turn it on again this morning, and same result, it wouldn't start. So I tried starting it up again with the cables but this time it would start up for about a second and turn off right away. Anybody have any ideas what the problem may be ? Any ideas and help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

inuk5huk

Reaction score
That was my first option, but than I had other people telling me that it may be the alternator or even the starter.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was my first option, but than I had other people telling me that it may be the alternator or even the starter.
The fact it cranks over when jumpstarted I'd have to say the starter is fine.The alternator is controlled by the PCM and rarely goes bad,in almost all cases of a alternator not charging in a KJ is a bad PCM.

The #1 reason for your issue is a bad battery as the KJ is very picky about battery voltage.

porkerface

Reaction score
I agree about it probably just being the battery. I had this happen twice on me. The battery can short out so it won't take a charge, which it did on me. Just replace the battery and you should be fine. Some hack mechanic tried to talk me into replacing the alternator the second time it happened and I told him to take a hike. He was either a cheat or an idiot and most likely both.

inuk5huk

Reaction score
Ok, thanks guys, I will be replacing the battery in the next day or two and let you guys know what is happening.

Latest posts

Members online