2003 Jeep Liberty - Trying to replace starter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TurboRabbit

Reaction score
Just as it's titled, trying to replace starter and I guessing this is an early 2003 because it seems the exhaust pipes are like the 2002 where the driver side cat is right near the starter. My question is that I'm trying to find a write up on the best direction to take. Remove the left side exhaust OR front coupler. I can see there is a large nut in the front coupler but I have no information on removal and reinstallation for that coupler. It seem pretty straight forward to remove that nut then coupler, and starter should come out. Doing so, are there anything I need to be concern about? Torque values? Or go the exhaust route?
TIA

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums. Just for curiosity, how many miles did your starter last for?
Here is a good starter motor link to review: https://www.jeepkj.com/threads/starter-replacement.49577/

Just as a side note, for searching with google we need now to add: Jeep KJ and KK Liberty Forum replace starter motor

KJ- "How To Section" seems to be missing a write up about the starter motor replacement.
Would be nice to have someone take some pics and create a "How To" about the Starter motor !! :)

TurboRabbit

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums. Just for curiosity, how many miles did your starter last for?
Here is a good starter motor link to review: https://www.jeepkj.com/threads/starter-replacement.49577/

Just as a side note, for searching with google we need now to add: Jeep KJ and KK Liberty Forum replace starter motor

KJ- "How To Section" seems to be missing a write up about the starter motor replacement.
Would be nice to have someone take some pics and create a "How To" about the Starter motor !! :)

Thanks for the welcome. Not sure the miles that are on the starter. The KJ has 196k on it right now. Read over the link, thanks for including. I'll have to review it again once I'm home so I can look at the vehicle. Only thing is the transmission mount, not following that part.

When I stated coupler in my post, I was going off the wording used from another site... it's actually front pinion yolk. I'm thinking that's the best route but not 100% sure. Just as it was posted in that link, not sure I want to mess with the exhaust. Not sure my hand is going to reach the clamp at the neck of the cat and it's rusty so not sure I can even get heat there. And I still would need to unplug the O2 sensors, just as tight.

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I did mine, I didnt have to detach the exhaust.
There is a transmission bracket that you remove for extra space. It is still tight...but do able

TurboRabbit

Reaction score
When I did mine, I didnt have to detach the exhaust.
There is a transmission bracket that you remove for extra space. It is still tight...but do able
Thanks for the feedback but still not following... transmission mount I'm thinking of is no where near the starter but I might be wrong... I know there a brace just near\under the oil pan, that it?

Either way, reached out to mechanic friend and he told me to pull the cat so working on that now.

TurboRabbit

Reaction score

Got the starter out... it looks OE so it's either has 196k on it OR whatever mileage from dealer replacement. It has chrysler tags on it and rusty around edges due to age... seriously thinking it's the original one.