2003 jeep liberty sporty idle problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sittin-sideways

Reaction score
i have 2003 jeep liberty sporty with idle problem,
when i start it the rpm go high to 2k rpm, some time it give me problem when it up high like that will not let the transmission change gear while i am driving,
i want to autozone for the dainostick check, and the code it give me are the following:

p0123 tps pedal, p0121 tps, p1294 manufactor control fuel /air metering

that what the guy give me at autozone.if anyone can help me out asap
i would be very helpfull i am on short cash.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
You can try to clean the TPS and should clean the IAC & interior throttle body, though intake, with throttle body cleaner spray.
If cleaning does not work-Replace the Throttle position sensor with an OEM dealer part.
Inside ports into throttle body get carbon build ups on both.
The TPS is above the IAC (intake air control) and has the white electrical connector. Both located on driver's side of throttle body.
40043[/ATTACH]']
You must be registered for see images attach

No screw up top on IAC it is located down on the bottom, hidden behind the hose.
40045[/ATTACH]']

This is what a clean port looks like.
Mainly Use Throttle body spray cleaner only.
I used a limited amount of carb cleaner which is much stronger, by only spraying some onto a Q-Tip, then cleaning ports only.
40047[/ATTACH]']

Attachments

• IAC3.jpg
    IAC3.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IAC1.jpg
    IAC1.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IAC8.jpg
    IAC8.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My TPS went bad after using throttle body cleaner spray. Guess I was a bit heavy handed so go easy with it.

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took out my IAC and cleaned up the port and actual IAC and it was quite gummed up with carbon build up, Cleaned it up real nice and noticed a nicer idle however it is still not perfect and I get some RPM drops here and there while idling, Would it be worth replacing the IAC? Anyone ever buy an after market one or stick with the Mopar 53030840?

The Jeep is not throwing any codes or anything.

Last edited:

windman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If there is no code this can be a problematic tps. You need to check tps percentage by using a scanner while changing the opening of intake valve. I faced the same situation.

JBDive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a new(rebuilt) engine put in a few months ago and I've not been overly happy with the idle. The idle is somewhat rough, seems lower (RPMS) than it should be and uneven. For a new engine I also seem to have a bit more lag between stomping on the gas and when it kicks in.

That being said should I just considering replacing all of these units outright, IAC, TPS and whatever that third one is, Mass Air Flow?

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those look to me like the IAC and TPS. The IAT is before the throttle body on a non-MAF vehicle. Most MAFs have the IAT built in. The jeep uses what, speed density for AFR? The coolant temp , air temp and o2 readings combined

JBDive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So why the wide variation in pricing on these IAC's? I am seeing everything from $20-$140.

JBDive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So why such a wide variation in pricing? I am seeing everything from $20-$120 for the IAC.