2003 Jeep liberty 3.7 Overheating

Is there another way i could release air from coolant ,bleeder valve stripped

• Advice

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • How to

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Christina

Reaction score
No oil doesn't look like if there is no water in it, I'm flushing out the system and that it from there. Ty for replying

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Flush, new MOPAR thermostat, hoses ( top and bottom ) bleed system well
If that is not it ( it was needed anyways) but water pump, many have plastic blades which wear or break off at times

Christina

Reaction score
Flush, new MOPAR thermostat, hoses ( top and bottom ) bleed system well
If that is not it ( it was needed anyways) but water pump, many have plastic blades which wear or break off at times
Goodmorning, I have worked on vehicles before and have not seen what I seen in this Jeep of mines. So about 2 weeks ago, I changed the thermostat and filed the reservoir with 50/50 antifreeze, drove home and I heard bubbling hot noise come from the reservoir. I didnt bother to lift the hood, it just kept running through my head, since I work from home, I had nowhere to go but knew I had to replace the thermostat. Why because I believed that what caused it. I drove it to a friend this pass Saturday and was watching videos after videos. When I removed the thermostat, wow this white stuff came oozing out, what the heck, my mind was tripping, what the heck is going on? It looked like (kid you not) melted Big Hunk without the peanuts, oozing out...I said this stuff was everywhere,hoses,housing, radiator,reservoir etc. I took the hose and started with the heater core hoses, housing, radiator flushing it all out, it took a minute for me to see it coming out the other end, as I watched this, i was in disbelieved. I only put water in this time nothing else, could it had been the antifreeze? This is still beyond my imagination. I plan on reflushing the system next weekend. Feed back please, I drove home and it drove great and didnt over heat. Found no water in the oil. Whew ..

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Liberty engines are very particular about the type of coolant used. They will only take HOAT coolant, which is the original mopar coolant or Zerex G05 coolant. The green "universal" coolant will react with the HOAT and cause a bunch of goo that clogs up the radiator, heater core, water pump, t-stat, engine passages, etc. Could this be the issue? Flushing out whatever the goo is with a garden hose is definitely a good idea.

To answer your original question about getting air out of the system if you can't open the bleeder screw, just park on a steep hill with the front of the Jeep facing uphill. Then take the radiator cap off and run the engine for a bit. Any air in the system should travel uphill and out at the radiator cap, since that would now be the highest point.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^ of course, do this with a cold engine to start. Removing a hot radiator cap can give you quite a burn from spraying coolant.

Christina

Reaction score
Liberty engines are very particular about the type of coolant used. They will only take HOAT coolant, which is the original mopar coolant or Zerex G05 coolant. The green "universal" coolant will react with the HOAT and cause a bunch of goo that clogs up the radiator, heater core, water pump, t-stat, engine passages, etc. Could this be the issue? Flushing out whatever the goo is with a garden hose is definitely a good idea.

To answer your original question about getting air out of the system if you can't open the bleeder screw, just park on a steep hill with the front of the Jeep facing uphill. Then take the radiator cap off and run the engine for a bit. Any air in the system should travel uphill and out at the radiator cap, since that would now be the highest point.
Ty so very much it makes me feel so much better.