2002 through 2004 rear axle question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

punkguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm still looking for a rear axle for my '03 (8-1/4 3.73 U-joint connection w/ABS). Could someone with a '02 or '04 tell me what type of connection they have on there jeep? I'm (we're) having a hell of time finding one that will match up with my connection and such. I guess the main question is, does the '02 and '04's have a u-joint or cv connection?
Thanks

Attachments

• axle.jpg
    axle.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 16

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does your rear axle look like this one? With the pinion flange, flange yoke and ujoint after(all the parts with WD40 on them)?

You must be registered for see images attach

punkguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does your rear axle look like this one? With the pinion flange, flange yoke and ujoint after(all the parts with WD40 on them)?

You must be registered for see images attach

Nope, no flange connection. This isn't mine but, it's the same connection.

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 35

punkguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both rear driveshaft connections to the slip yokes are u joints. Only the front is cvs.

I guess I'm not 100% following ya. Some of the '03s have CV joint connections in them. I'm trying to figure out if the '02s and '04s could possibly have the same connection as my '03 with a u-joint (no flange) See the attached picture here for the different assemblies/connections.

Attachments

• axle.jpg
    axle.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 17

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The FRONT driveshaft is CVs. The rear is u joints. That is all years of libertys.

punkguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
There are different styles on the rear diff itself
We had to change the one on TwoBobs when we went to 4.10s on his
All you have to do is remove the one from yours that was there originally and install it on the new one you bought.
Easy and takes a few minutes to do.
Not following why your shop can not do this???
The picture you posted has the flange completely missing / already removed

punkguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are different styles on the rear diff itself
We had to change the one on TwoBobs when we went to 4.10s on his
All you have to do is remove the one from yours that was there originally and install it on the new one you bought.
Easy and takes a few minutes to do.
Not following why your shop can not do this???
The picture you posted has the flange completely missing / already removed

Well the picture that I posted was not of mine but, it did look the same when I crawled under there after it happened. So apparently that whole flange connection came undone and went missing during the incident? Thoughts?
(and I'm not sure why they cant)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
OK then so what does your driveshaft end look like
We can go from there
And if your rear diff looks like that then yes the flange is missing. Maybe you just need a new one of them. Of course the pinion would of been loose so could of caused some damage to the gears
Bring it here, have you gone in less than a day! LOL

punkguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK then so what does your driveshaft end look like
We can go from there
And if your rear diff looks like that then yes the flange is missing. Maybe you just need a new one of them. Of course the pinion would of been loose so could of caused some damage to the gears
Bring it here, have you gone in less than a day! LOL

Something on the lines of the picture here. U-joint connection with a spline center that the pinion would go into and a big nut that would hold them together.
And yes, the internals are all jacked up. Carrier, Ring and Pinion all have damage, which is why I'm swapping rear ends.

Attachments

• LOF (57).jpg
    LOF (57).jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could it be the driveshaft is different depending if its the AWD-capable t-case vs. the part-time tcase?

Either way, the earlier KJ uses a u-joint yoke on the rear diff, and the later ones use a flat flange.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Something on the lines of the picture here. U-joint connection with a spline center that the pinion would go into and a big nut that would hold them together.
And yes, the internals are all jacked up. Carrier, Ring and Pinion all have damage, which is why I'm swapping rear ends.
Excuse me if I woke up on the wrong side of bed this morning BUT...
Why after reading this thread did I just receive a huge confusion headache!! T-3 time.
Maybe it is because you did not provide any pics & tell the whole story right from the beginning & we've been wondering what components you actually need?

At least now I am happy to hear you are going ahead & swapping the rear end, due to it being blown up, by post #16.
The corporate 8.25 rear ends are pretty much all the same, except for either an open carrier or a clutch based locker called a Trac-Lok.

If you obtain a free build sheet it will describe the type of rear diff & Transfer case your jeep came with, as well as probably the stock gearing of 3.73's off the top of my head.
Tom's the expert & can help out with spline info any pretty much everything else.
Are you intending on getting another rear end from the Junk Yard or?

Last edited:

punkguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for not fully explaining. I went into great detail a few weeks back about it and what happened (I know, not the same post). For this post I was just looking for some info from the guys that have the '02s and '04s on what their connections were since we're having a hard time finding an '03 to match up to what I have. That's what the picture in the initial post was about. I know what I have as far as the rear axle goes on mine, just trying to find one in the scrap yard is the issue right now.