2002 Rear Coil height

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spidey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How are you so sure? My mom has an '05 and my '02 sat very noticably higher than hers before being lifted.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
All depends on the vehicle but most times (98%) by the time you get 30,000-35,000 miles on one the stock springs have already started to sag and continue to do so. Thats why when you do a spacer lift you get lift at first but will continue to loose over time. Known fact, not fiction

Spidey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying they don't sag and don't continue to sag, I'm just thinking it's unlikely that they'll sag lower than a post-lowered Liberty, which also apparently sag. I understand pointing people away from trying to find stock '02 springs given the number of better options(and the presumed fact that they cannot be purchased anywhere but used), but just say so.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I'm not saying they don't sag and don't continue to sag, I'm just thinking it's unlikely that they'll sag lower than a post-lowered Liberty, which also apparently sag. I understand pointing people away from trying to find stock '02 springs given the number of better options(and the presumed fact that they cannot be purchased anywhere but used), but just say so.

After reading this thread...
Out of curiousity...
I called the local Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep dealership that I regularly deal with to see if OEM 2002 specification KJ rear coil
springs were still available...

A straight to the point answer.
NO!

Last edited:

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You couldn't even buy 2002 springs back in 2003 (after the April change over) All KJ's were to be fitted with the shorter units if required.

The taller springs were too unstable to be driven by anyone. [/sarcsm]

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
You couldn't even buy 2002 springs back in 2003 (after the April change over) All KJ's were to be fitted with the shorter units if required.

The taller springs were too unstable to be driven by anyone. [/sarcsm]

And why?

Because most People don't know how to drive!
Like that automotive journalist who rolled one at a "New" vehicle press
release...

One bad apple spoils...

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the type of driving the journalist was doing? maneuver wise.. doubt anyone will drive an everyday kj the way he was when he rolled it. Even with my lift it still feels pretty solid in turns of slightly higher speed. but I do have 1.5" spacers.. don't know if the 3" extra on width has a whole lot to do with it.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone know the type of driving the journalist was doing? maneuver wise.. doubt anyone will drive an everyday kj the way he was when he rolled it. Even with my lift it still feels pretty solid in turns of slightly higher speed. but I do have 1.5" spacers.. don't know if the 3" extra on width has a whole lot to do with it.
Read it was on a skid-pad? KJ,seems to me the spacers would help,wider stance,also lift contributes stiffer springs.

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read the Autoweek article once but can't find it right now.

The "driver" was doing around 40MPH though a slalom course and produced a roll over. AT 40MPH! Who slalom's a freaking Liberty? $(@(#*%'s, the lot of them. This all results in DiamlerChrysler running to make the change and save face because of the media influence over everything...

http://4wheeldrive.about.com/cs/liberty/a/aa070102a.htm

http://www.yourlawyer.com/articles/read/4307

A couple of links that hint at the "incident" but not the actual article published in Autoweek.

Edit: Bingo! http://www.rolloverlawyer.com/jeep/liberty.htm Not the real thing but pretty detailed explaination.

Last edited:

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
I read the Autoweek article once but can't find it right now.

The "driver" was doing around 40MPH though a slalom course and produced a roll over. AT 40MPH! Who slalom's a freaking Liberty? $(@(#*%'s, the lot of them. This all results in DiamlerChrysler running to make the change and save face because of the media influence over everything...

http://4wheeldrive.about.com/cs/liberty/a/aa070102a.htm

http://www.yourlawyer.com/articles/read/4307

A couple of links that hint at the "incident" but not the actual article published in Autoweek.

Edit: Bingo! http://www.rolloverlawyer.com/jeep/liberty.htm Not the real thing but pretty detailed explaination.

Good post sleeve!
I couldn't find these last night...
Must of been the fourteen shots of Canadian Whiskey I had!:D drunk.gif

Anyway, media has always black listed vehicles.
Like the Ford Pinto, a GMC pick-up truck, and in the late 1980's Audi 5000 CD Turbo that had all magically exploded when in a staged collision on 60 minutes...
Later an investigation found that both cars had been tampered with and had
incendiary devices placed in the vehicles to make them go bang for T.V.

Theres alot more to this story, but I'm going have my supper now!
(Cheers)
Ry'

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
best part of the study is the "variation in friction" at the moment of rollover... I.E. they were testing in uncontrolled conditions and then blame the OEM.

What a crap test.

Anyway. Long live the Liberty.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I read the last link that sleeve posted, had to stop before I finished. Makes me so (censored) sick... :(

Latest posts

Members online