2002 Liberty Sport - Warped Rotors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rjernign

Reaction score
Has anyone else had problems with warped rotors? I had them replaced about 4 months ago and now they are warped again. The first set of rotors was from the manufacturer and the second pair were parts ordered from my mechanic. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

styng88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't have a problem until I changed the front brakes. Now it seems that the front rotors are (were) vibrating under hard braking. Did I get too rough pads? I'm thinking that I did.

rjernign

Reaction score
That is exactly what happened to me. I had the front pads replaced for the first time and then shortly thereafter is when it started. I took it back and they told me the rotors were warped. They were replaced and everything was fine for a couple of months and then it started again. I wonder if the caliper is causing the warped rotors or if the rotors themselves are just not manufactured correctly. Very frustrating.... ](*,)

NightCrawler

Reaction score
As far as I know this is a known problem with Jeeps. I had my Grand Cherokee rotors replaced 3 times within 10,000 miles.

styng88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should we by pads that are NOT lifetime guarantee? I know that early 90s Ford vans had this same problem. If you bought heavy duty pads, the rotors got eaten. If you bought cheap pads, the rotors last a lot longer.

skipperb

Reaction score
02 rotors

Same thing had pads and rotors were bad 2 weeks later
AUTOZONE has them for 21.00 each not bad for new rotors I will get new rotors when I replace the pads for now on.

rjernign

Reaction score
Warped Rotors

My mechanic suggested I call the dealership and ask if there are any recalls or TSB's for this. He said if not maybe we can try swapping the pads out with metallic pads. I called the dealership and they said there weren't any recalls or TSB's. I wonder what steps have to be taken to have something like this recalled? Or what creiteria warrents a recall?

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Ron:
maybe your mechanic used cheap rotors? and maybe you didn't bed your pads properly...AND that would cause the warpage, because of excess pressure/heat buildup...does the pedal feel overly squishy?

BTW-good to see another memphian on a forum

rjernign

Reaction score
thanks thunderbird,
I definitely did not bed my pads properly. Maybe that's the problem. I had never heard of that until now. Thanks. I just moved from OB to Hernando a couple of months ago. I used to have a memphis tire cover on my jeep in OB.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just something to consider. What rotors are you, using? Factory, aftermarket. Could be just low quality replacement rotors, since the problem seems to occur shortly after you install new rotors. Quick brake stops love to use the lowest quality parts so they can quote the cheapest prices.

UKKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I test drove my car from the dealer, I found it had warped rotors...this was at 8300 miles

I bedded them in (for info; avoided heavy braking for a few hundred miles)

I am starting to get a tell tale vibration already (9400 miles)

This is worrying if its going to happen all the time... may need to find some performance items.

:-k I am still under warranty at the moment luckily

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I complained about vibration when braking at the 20,000km service at the dealer. It was, and is, only noticeable when braking from high speed.
This was original rotors and pads. The dealer said they couldn't feel it and that brake parts aren't covered under warranty so I haven't bothered replacing the rotors.

superduane

Reaction score
Warped Rotors

I bought a second hand Liberty last year with warped rotors and 60K miles. I finally wore the brakes out so I'm going to replace the rotors. What I have found with other vehicles is that it is really important to use a good torque wrench when tightening the lug nuts to prevent rotor warpage. This is because many cars, including our Jeeps, are designed so that the rotor is sandwich between the spindle hub and the wheel. If you do not tighten the lugs evenly, then the rotor expands unevenly and warps when going through the many heat cycles.
Also, I have a friend with a Volvo who was constantly replacing rotors, only to find out that, the dealer had overtightened the lug nuts and warped the spindle hub itself. The warped spindle was quickly warping brand new rotors. It didn't resolve until the spindles were replaced.

Here's my solution.....I'm going to check the runout on the spindle hubs and see if they're within factory spec. If not, I'll replace the hubs with the rotors and torque everything to spec. Also, I never let anyboby take my wheels off (rotations, tire replacment, etc.) unless they torque the lugs with a torque wrench. I always bring mine with me, just in case. I know that this sounds totally ****, but it saves alot of aggravation in the end. I'm a hard braker and all of my other cars have never had a problem with warped rotors. I'll let you know how it goes.
Does anybody recommend a particular rotor / pad combination? I'm disappointed to see that Brembo doesn't make rotors for the Liberty. Bummer! Thanks and have a great day!

superduane

Reaction score
To follow up. I changed the rotors and pads with Raybestos brand that I bought at a local auto parts chain store. I tightened everything with a torque wrench, including the lug nuts on the wheels. It has been a few thousand miles and I haven't had a warpage problems. I don't know for sure, but I think that the lug torque is key to keeping the rotors from warping. I hope this helps! Have a great day, Duane.

GoldBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This reminds me that I once saw someone, on TV, replace a disc brake system with new rotors and calipers that used 4 pressure points and not 2. Anyone know of this and think it would solve that problem? I'm guessing it'd be expensive and that it was some sort of performance rotor deal.