2002 KJ tale of woe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeepster101

Reaction score
My wife had been driving our KJ on the highway (in 2WD) until she noticed a pull to one side on the steering. The Jeep limped off the highway to where she could park, and there was much grinding noise and burning oil smell in the cabin. When I reached the KJ I was only able to try it briefly before the tow truck showed up, but here is the vehicle status: I left the Select-trac in 2WD, and with Auto in D, increasing engine revs brought on the metal grinding sound which was approx underfoot. The car inched forwards but it was obvious there was some kind of breakage in the driveline. (all brakes definitely disengaged).
The KJ was towed to a local non-dealer auto repair shop (which is highly rated on Angies List).

First call back from them was to report an issue with the front diff that would cost $1500 to $2K to repair. Possibly also Transfer case which could bring repair to $3K
They have farmed out the job to a transmission shop for more detailed analysis, and I'm still waiting for a report/estimate ...
I had never imagined this kind of problem so I've been trying to figure what could have gone wrong!

Meanwhile, I figured I would throw this one out to the forum to see if anyone else has experienced a total failure in the driveline and what came of it... and what expense?

2002 Jeep Liberty V6 - Selec-Trac 70K miles

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Lots more info needed
how long since diffs/transfer case had been serviced
sure she was in 2WD?
until you find out for sure what or where the issue is hard to answer the question you put forth

Jeepster101

Reaction score
About two years since the diffs & Tcase were oil changed ...
I am thinking now that maybe an oil leak developed that I didn't notice
beneath the car, if the drips were caught by a skid plate.

Wife is sure about 2WD for whole trip ...
I will add more details when I get news from the trans shop.

thanks

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the work ahead.
Anytime I hear loss of gear oil or fluid I think about what is about to burn up and be done 4.
I also know that skids need to be removed to check level/ the fill plugs.
I highly recommend once a year if not sooner, that a full drive line inspection be done. Open the fill plugs first and check the level to ensure the casings are full. Then change all the ATF+4 GL5 Gear oils annually.
The rear diff should be drained every 12-15 k miles.
I do the Front transfer case and Front diff every 35k and look closely at case half & ALL SHAFTS sealS.
Mine is in need of a new seal I think, as the transfer case is a bit wet in the middle.
Going to have to get my rig up and skids off soon. Inspection time.

Jeepster101

Reaction score
Just picked up KJ from garage. Differential needle bearing had disintegrated and trashed the diff (Oil was not missing via any leaks!). $1600 to rebuild with new gears bearings seals etc, and refit. Also had a bad tie rod with too much play that got replaced ...

The jeep is driving fine so far, but next we have to replace the exhaust system which is leaking from front to back ($1650 quoted).

Last edited:

Jeepster101

Reaction score
With the main cat for sure, but it's not clear to me whether there are other cats in the section that comes off the manifolds (of V6). Can't find a clearly labelled diagram of a complete system for 02 lib on the internet ...

Xodius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1650 isn't with the cats or they are generic. Here I got a quote for 2200 for the three and that is it. Hell I haven't even found parts for that cheap. Lol. Sadly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xodius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also check out some different shops as there are a few that will simply repair versus replace and that might be an option if you are short on cash.

Another thing is reduce the length of pipe. You can run the three cats to the muffler and have that end just before the rear axle. That might help also.

The front cats are about 200 a pc then the rear is around 500-1300. Muffler around what...150 ish and pipe for another...100 or so.

Where abouts do you live? How is the rest of the body?

Xodius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don't mind driving north to wisconsin I know a guy there in elkhorn or delevan who does great work for a very low price. My mom and dad go to him and he is very reasonable and honest. Should be about...an hour and a half away I think. They are in lake geneva.
Just a thought.

Latest posts

Members online