2002 KJ 3.7L - *BRAND* of Gas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

agentTHETA

Reaction score
Hello Everyone:

Way back when I bought my 2002 KJ Renegade brand new, I heard that the Daimler Chrysler vehicles of that era could not take any *BRAND* of gas. Certain brands (e.g., Shell, CostCo, etc) had additives in the gasoline that would mess up the fuel tank sensor permanently. After using those brands of gas, you would get an inaccurate reading on your fuel gauge (e.g., you have a completely full tank of gas, but the fuel gauge only shows that you are 80% full). Apparently, if you would go back to one of the approved brands (e.g., Exxon/Mobil, Chevron, etc) the reading would still be inaccurate.

Is this true? Does anyone have a 2002 KJ 3.7L and use brands like Shell, CostCo, etc and have any issues? I was hoping to expand my gas buying universe.

As an aside, if a gasoline has the "Top Tier" certification, are they essentially all the same regardless of brand?

Thanks,

aT

kejobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I usually run Shell, Sunoco, or Marathon. Never had issues with those. I do Avoid Sheetz like the plague though. Only due to reduced fuel mileage by up to 2-3 mpg, on any vehicle.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've run Costco, Thornton's, BP, Shell, Marathon....all 87 octane, and never had an issue nor a difference in gas mileage. By the way, Costco is on the "top tier" gasoline list, as is BP, Shell...to name a few. I spose Thornton's might be a crap shoot, but it's what I mostly use without issue.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every single gas station in your area is feed by the exact same gas service(bulk station).

The only difference is the additives which are mixed in while the tankers are being filled at the bulk fill stations.

Any top tier gas is good to use.I'd stay away from any gas station that is noticeably,like 10 cents+ cheaper, lower priced then the surrounding gas stations and any no-name gas stations that don't label what gas they sell.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every single gas station in your area is feed by the exact same gas service(bulk station).

The only difference is the additives which are mixed in while the tankers are being filled at the bulk fill stations.

Any top tier gas is good to use.I'd stay away from any gas station that is noticeably,like 10 cents+ cheaper, lower priced then the surrounding gas stations and any no-name gas stations that don't label what gas they sell.

^^^this.

There are also minimum additive standards everyone is required to abide by. The "top tier" stations might add more than the minimum standards required or better additives. ( "better additives" could be just marketing BS when they say "our additives are better than the other guy's additives" but all the "top tier" brands are good to use with no concerns)

Dave

jeepbeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tanker drivers dump a scoop of detergent in when they leave the refinery. Something I learned from some very credible people on bobtheoilguy forums..

..sometimes they do
..sometimes they don't
..sometimes they dump the wrong detergent

I think BP Invigorate and Chevron Techron are the two that do the best in 3rd party lab testing.

The electrode storage tanks and pumps different stations use couldn't care less what goes in them.. I use BP because there is no Chevron in my area.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
In the 04 I bought new I bet I've ran 30-40 different brands depending on where I was in the US. Never any issues with what the OP is asking. Some " seem" to get a bit better mileage but never any real issues. Its all the same

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here in Oz I only run 98 octane better mileage than anything else incidentally price isn't always a good by Station down the road is usually 2-3 cents dearer than anywhere else but the mileage drop by about half yep half if I run BP I get 9- 10 litres per 100km if I run this guys fuel I get 16-18 the real pain is every other Station in town is over the other side so it's 10 minutes outta the way to fuel up

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone:

As an aside, if a gasoline has the "Top Tier" certification, are they essentially all the same regardless of brand?

Thanks,

aT

Yes. Only difference(other than price) would be the additives added to meet the requirements of "Top Tier", and the amount of time it takes the stations to fill up.
Sounds dumb, but..
The best place to buy gas.. is the place that sells the most gas.
Least amount of time between being added to the filling station and being added to your jeep.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Here in western Wisconsin Kwik trip has a monopoly basically, would have to drive probably an hour to find another brand. It's top tier allegedly, been fine for the 5 years I've been up here.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the 04 I bought new I bet I've ran 30-40 different brands depending on where I was in the US. Never any issues with what the OP is asking. Some " seem" to get a bit better mileage but never any real issues. Its all the same

Same here in my 02. Maybe a tiny bit of difference in mileage between brands but I only see a pretty big drop in MPGs all around when the winter rolls around. I've run Costco, Shell, Sunoco, Mobil/Exxon, Chevron, BP, Falcon, Coastal, Crown, to name some, even "Shitz". My favorites based on another vehicle that I have that is sensitive to brands are Chevron, BP and Sunoco. Just my 0.02.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never had a good experience with either Citgo or Sunoco. Had a bad experience with a couple no-names, so I'll never get no-name again.

I usually get Shell or Sam's Club.

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My fuel gauge on the 03 KJ acts really weird. From half to empty happens 3X faster/less mileage than from full to half. Can't trust it. Maybe that explains why it behaves like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
My fuel gauge on the 03 KJ acts really weird. From half to empty happens 3X faster/less mileage than from full to half. Can't trust it. Maybe that explains why it behaves like that.
My last three vehicles (at least) have done that. I get 70% of the miles-per-tank by the time it hits the halfway mark on the gauge, then the other 30% the other half. The previous two were not Jeeps, so I think it may be an industry-wide thing.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Never had a good experience with either Citgo or Sunoco. Had a bad experience with a couple no-names, so I'll never get no-name again.

I usually get Shell or Sam's Club.

I'd rather run out of gas than support Citgo. Can't remember the last time I got gas there. :Bye:

I remember once back in FL many moons ago (had the Durango for those that remember) and got gas at Sam's and it stalled out and had a rough idle for a bit. Then a few weeks later, got a CEL for the EGR valve. I know that the gas didn't cause it, but rather maybe I wrongly blamed the gas for the temporary rough idle. But, it went away after that tank was done.

JeepinJarhead03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its not your imagination, it actually does drop "faster" from half to fuel light than it does from F to half, but that's because you have to use about 3-4 gal. for it to come off of F. and there's about 3-4 gal difference in half to fuel light than there is half to F in miles, about 45-65mi difference. so it's not just you lol. I figured it out on my many trips back and forth to IL where id set my cruse leaving the gas station and not disenage it till the fuel light came on and i was exiting for more fuel 3 times each leg. the only gas ive ever noticed much difference from, and i actually think its a difference that would statistically show up on a dyno, is Liberty/Ewing brand fuel. Every time i get it(about a dozen times) the jeep seems lethargic and i all of a sudden remember that i had told myself to remember not to get gas there again.

as far as the manufacturer is concerned the only portion that matters is the accuracy of the fuel light, when you're out you're out!

jeepbeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its not your imagination, it actually does drop "faster" from half to fuel light than it does from F to half, but that's because you have to use about 3-4 gal. for it to come off of F. and there's about 3-4 gal difference in half to fuel light than there is half to F in miles, about 45-65mi difference. so it's not just you lol. I figured it out on my many trips back and forth to IL where id set my cruse leaving the gas station and not disenage it till the fuel light came on and i was exiting for more fuel 3 times each leg. the only gas ive ever noticed much difference from, and i actually think its a difference that would statistically show up on a dyno, is Liberty/Ewing brand fuel. Every time i get it(about a dozen times) the jeep seems lethargic and i all of a sudden remember that i had told myself to remember not to get gas there again.

as far as the manufacturer is concerned the only portion that matters is the accuracy of the fuel light, when you're out you're out!

Torque reports around 21MPG long-term-average and I get almost 17 using my trip counter and assuming the light comes on at 3Gal like most vehicles and taking risks. I'm all stock with 225/75/16 radials.

You guys should read my post here or just go ask people really in to this stuff at bobtheoilguy forums... They all come from the same refineries and the tanker drivers dump detergent in at pull-off and sometimes erroneous.. Chevron Techron and BP Invigorate are the best in the US both through 3rd party chemical tests and owner-feedback statistics..

No proofs for either side of the ethanol argument though.

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Torque reports around 21MPG long-term-average and I get almost 17 using my trip counter and assuming the light comes on at 3Gal like most vehicles and taking risks. I'm all stock with 225/75/16 radials.

You guys should read my post here or just go ask people really in to this stuff at bobtheoilguy forums... They all come from the same refineries and the tanker drivers dump detergent in at pull-off and sometimes erroneous.. Chevron Techron and BP Invigorate are the best in the US both through 3rd party chemical tests and owner-feedback statistics..

No proofs for either side of the ethanol argument though.

That forum has a lot of interesting info from guys that are **** (in a good way) about this stuff. Sometimes they get way deep into this stuff.

Dave

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.