2002 Jeep Liberty KJ - Rear Hatch Strut Mounts - Headlights - Driver's Seat Controls

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdcrx

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I just purchased (yesterday) a 2002 Jeep Liberty 3.7 6cyl Limited with 225,000miles on it (yes a lot but the thing is great condition). So I've got a couple of questions

Rear Hatch Strut Mounts: The Mounts on my rear hatch glass are shot, is there a way of replacing them without buying the whole glass?

Headlights: Driver side's headlight is turning yellow and was wondering if anyone has purchased these from ebay (like the cheap $50/pair ones) or do you have any you could recommend (non OEM) or is there any LED conversion headlights you might recommend?(like the ones they sell for JK's)

Driver's Side Controls: The plastic thing that holds the seat heater, seat slide/height adjustment and backrest adjustment is broken to the non-repairable status. I don't know how to look it up and i also need the little lever for the backrest adjustment.

I'd really appreciate your help, yes my english is rather good but I'm located in Panama and my native language is spanish so yes there are things (like that damn plastic) for which i can't seem to find the name or accurate translation. (transalting from spanish to english *****)

Thanks,

JD

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I just purchased (yesterday) a 2002 Jeep Liberty 3.7 6cyl Limited with 225,000miles on it (yes a lot but the thing is great condition). So I've got a couple of questions

Rear Hatch Strut Mounts: The Mounts on my rear hatch glass are shot, is there a way of replacing them without buying the whole glass?

Headlights: Driver side's headlight is turning yellow and was wondering if anyone has purchased these from ebay (like the cheap $50/pair ones) or do you have any you could recommend (non OEM) or is there any LED conversion headlights you might recommend?(like the ones they sell for JK's)

Driver's Side Controls: The plastic thing that holds the seat heater, seat slide/height adjustment and backrest adjustment is broken to the non-repairable status. I don't know how to look it up and i also need the little lever for the backrest adjustment.

I'd really appreciate your help, yes my english is rather good but I'm located in Panama and my native language is spanish so yes there are things (like that damn plastic) for which i can't seem to find the name or accurate translation. (transalting from spanish to english *****)

Thanks,

JD

First off, yes the struts for the glass are replaceable
These are what I ordered and they're AMAZING:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00MPDRZ4E/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1
All you do is take a flathead screwdriver, locate the thin metal rings around each end of the old struts, put the screwdriver between that and pry out and they'lol come right off
Take your new ones and snap them in place

Second, look around for DOT approved headlight housings and also just make sure they're made of good materials and are an exact replacement for the stock ones
Usually you can get both for about $60
There are no LED headlights for KJs because our headlights are about 7 1/2" round and JKs are 7"
They're cheap headlights usually anyway and would take way too much work to get them to work and look good

Third, I do not have the adjustable seats so I cannot tell you about this but I'm sure you can find a replacement on Amazon or eBay
Just keep looking for replacement parts online that deal with controls (window controls, seat controls, etc) and I'm sure you'll find something

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your English is very good - no need to apologize :waytogo:

As for as the strut mounts... If you're talking about the little ball mount that attaches to the glass, those tend to rust and become useless. I don't know that I've ever seen replacements available anywhere, but then again I haven't had to replace mine (yet.) I would think they are available separately so glass companies have a way to replace a broken rear glass panel - I just don't know where to look.

As for the seat adjustments - best bet is to find a junkyard with a Liberty/Cherokee. None of the seat parts are available from Mopar. You should also try eBay.

Welcome!

Bob

jdcrx

Reaction score
First off, yes the struts for the glass are replaceable
These are what I ordered and they're AMAZING:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00MPDRZ4E/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1
All you do is take a flathead screwdriver, locate the thin metal rings around each end of the old struts, put the screwdriver between that and pry out and they'lol come right off
Take your new ones and snap them in place

Second, look around for DOT approved headlight housings and also just make sure they're made of good materials and are an exact replacement for the stock ones
Usually you can get both for about $60
There are no LED headlights for KJs because our headlights are about 7 1/2" round and JKs are 7"
They're cheap headlights usually anyway and would take way too much work to get them to work and look good

Third, I do not have the adjustable seats so I cannot tell you about this but I'm sure you can find a replacement on Amazon or eBay
Just keep looking for replacement parts online that deal with controls (window controls, seat controls, etc) and I'm sure you'll find something

Thanks for your reply. I think ill order those 60bucks lamps off ebay

jdcrx

Reaction score
Your English is very good - no need to apologize :waytogo:

As for as the strut mounts... If you're talking about the little ball mount that attaches to the glass, those tend to rust and become useless. I don't know that I've ever seen replacements available anywhere, but then again I haven't had to replace mine (yet.) I would think they are available separately so glass companies have a way to replace a broken rear glass panel - I just don't know where to look.

As for the seat adjustments - best bet is to find a junkyard with a Liberty/Cherokee. None of the seat parts are available from Mopar. You should also try eBay.

Welcome!

Bob

YES! thats exactly what broke. since its a new to me car, i never got to see the steel ball, all i see is a rusted piece of something attached to a plastic plate on the hatch.. i dont mind it being broken for i can be careful enough when opening it, but wifey on the other hand (huh) thats what makes me wonder if its replaceable.. She drives a 2015 nissan xtrail but then again she tends to like my old 4x4s better and I know she'll end up driving it at some point for no good reason.. hahaha. Thanks man.

jdcrx

Reaction score
I'm still stuck trying to get the backrest adjust lever and the plastic thing that covers the side of the seat where the slide/height adjust and seat warmer controls go. Can't find a name for that part. If I run a search on ebay under 2002 Jeep Liberty Seat or whatever what comes up are all the available aftermarket seat covers available for the thing.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm still stuck trying to get the backrest adjust lever and the plastic thing that covers the side of the seat where the slide/height adjust and seat warmer controls go. Can't find a name for that part. If I run a search on ebay under 2002 Jeep Liberty Seat or whatever what comes up are all the available aftermarket seat covers available for the thing.

What color is your seat?

Bob

Members online