2002 automatic trans compatibility

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Road_Runna

Reaction score
Hello all, im new to these forums, so I've purchased my 2002 Jeep liberty 4x4 (lmt edition) about 4 years ago, and now im having transmission issues, I lost 3rd and 4th gear about a week ago (78k miles on the Liberty), took it into a transmission shop and they quoted me a total of thirty two hundred, at first they told me that the side shields on the valve body were blown out and that it would be a 600 fix, then a 1500 fix to have the ****** overhauled, then a 3200 fix. :wtf2:

I know I can buy a trans for about 400 dollars with 70k miles on it, and istall it myself, question what type of transmission donor vehicles can I pull them from (other than a same liberty)? and is there some sort of alignment I have to make for my
4x4 transfer case to function?

Another thing, my Liberty uses the expensive grey sentry keys, is that going to create any sort of new problems with a ****** swap? (computer problems)?

Last edited:

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I would find out for sure what the actual problem is before looking for a donor spare ******.

I blew out the accumulator plate in my transmission a few years back, and ended up purchasing the TransGo Heavy Duty Shift Kit for under $100. Fixed everything, and I'm still running just fine with it.

My saga here: www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37005

Road_Runna

Reaction score
I would find out for sure what the actual problem is before looking for a donor spare ******.

I blew out the accumulator plate in my transmission a few years back, and ended up purchasing the TransGo Heavy Duty Shift Kit for under $100. Fixed everything, and I'm still running just fine with it.

My saga here: www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37005

which kit did you get the 45rfe HD-2 kit? i've seen a similar post by Novadan in which you replied to. The transmission shop took the transmission apart and told me it needed a total overhaul, but my trans fluid was looking really good, I find kinda hard to believe when the oil was as clean as it was.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
which kit did you get the 45rfe HD-2 kit? i've seen a similar post by Novadan in which you replied to. The transmission shop took the transmission apart and told me it needed a total overhaul, but my trans fluid was looking really good, I find kinda hard to believe when the oil was as clean as it was.
Full synthetic ATF,like ATF+4 in your trans(or what should be in there) can look real bad but the fluid still be good or look good and be bad since it is dyed red.Un-died it's clear so color or smell is not a indicator of fluid condition in Chrysler vehicles.

If they already took it apart there past the point of just replacing a $30 part and only after $$$.

Road_Runna

Reaction score
The trans shop told me that it needed a complete overhaul. Im thinking of replacing the trans with another one (lack of funds to pay $3200), are there other cars or trucks that carry the same trans?

Xodius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well...first off. I had a similar problem. The dealership told me I needed a new ******. They gave me the error codes and after some frantic research and several calls later I found out I just needed a new valve body. I had another dealership put that in for 1100. In hind sight I would do it myself but at the time was nervous. Make sure that is what you need and see if there are any error codes being thrown. It might not be that bad. My KJ is a 2002 and it was about the same mileage when that happened. My issue was a defect in the valve body, small air hole in the cast/milling from factory. Also check out those transgo that might be all you really need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Road_Runna

Reaction score
I just got my transgo kit today, at the same time I ordered another transmission only 69k miles for $500 including shipping, 3 year guarantee, just in case, need the Liberty for the snow, and my Mustang to hybernate.

Im gonna install the transgo HD-2 kit saturday morning on my current trans.

Road_Runna

Reaction score
Took trans pan out today. Look what I found.
The second pic shows it more clearlly.

You must be registered for see images
[/IMG]
the open part of the side plate is right next to the round filter. The other side is straight against
the valve body.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Transgo side plate in. Got some stripped threads I got to repair

[/IMG]
The transgo kit had a new End plug along with a new switch (self cleaning) valve, the picture above shows the stock OEM end plug, my question, is this, for the folks who have installed the new valve and end plug, how hard was it for you to put that new END plug into the bore, I had to pound mines in with a soft hammer, and unlike the stock end plug there is absolutelly no play with this plug.

Last edited:

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I didn't have to do that. The bolt heads broke off when the plate on mine went... and the bolts were loose enough to get out by hand. I suppose that's where I was lucky. Simply removed the remainder of the bolts, put the new plate up, and rebolted (with lots of blue loctite).

No problems since.

Those pictures look very familiar and very similar to what happened with mine. Inexpensive fix compared to a new ****** or a rebuild, yes? :D

Last edited:

Road_Runna

Reaction score
I didn't have to do that. The bolt heads broke off when the plate on mine went... and the bolts were loose enough to get out by hand. I suppose that's where I was lucky. Simply removed the remainder of the bolts, put the new plate up, and rebolted (with lots of blue loctite).

No problems since.

Those pictures look very familiar and very similar to what happened with mine. Inexpensive fix compared to a new ****** or a rebuild, yes? :D

I had 1 bolt brocken off, and the other one completelly stripped, I found the one in the pan. With some luck this will fix my 3rd and 4th gear. :happy160:

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
It should. Those were also the gears I was missing as well. Good luck!