2002/2003 Hypertech tuner support

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LetFreedomRing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please disregard if you seen this on lost or jeepforum.

For any who are interested in hypertech tuner support for 2002/2003 Liberty models.

I have been advised by Hypertech customer support that if there is enough product requests for the 2002/03 model years, they will consider supporting them. The guy I emailed said that they are getting a lot of request for these years. For those of you who don't know what this product does, it advertises 24hp/24tq increase for regular gas along with 25hp/25tq for premium along with the ability to adjust speed limiter etc.

The WK guys seem to love the performance increase with this product when paired with the 3.7, so I assume we would get a substantial boost in performance as well.

Anyone that is interested please fill out the product request form on hypertechs website. Which is http://209.12.144.7/requests.php

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I prefer to save my money and spend it on armor and other such mods. Not something that will supposedly work. And besides you have a Jeep not a Subaru why would you want a tuner anyway?

LetFreedomRing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I prefer to save my money and spend it on armor and other such mods. Not something that will supposedly work. And besides you have a Jeep not a Subaru why would you want a tuner anyway?

Just trying to get some power back. Compared to my Explorer with the 4.0 this 3.7 is a dog. Also to get around the adaptive learning of the stock ecm. I know you can go with B&G tuning, but this is a lot cheaper plus with the ability to flash back to stock if needed. Read up on the WK guys on jeepforum, almost all of them have had very favorable results.

I guess I should have labeled it a programmer. That does sound kinda ricey....

Last edited:

The IVIinority

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exhaust system, cai (or just a good filter), and maybe try running some mid grade gas. This is what I did, and picked up 1-2 mpg and a little hp according to the old seat of the pants Dyno. You could also put some new plugs in. I'm gunna put in new plugs soon. Good luck.

LetFreedomRing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exhaust system, cai (or just a good filter), and maybe try running some mid grade gas. This is what I did, and picked up 1-2 mpg and a little hp according to the old seat of the pants Dyno. You could also put some new plugs in. I'm gunna put in new plugs soon. Good luck.

While that helps some(just recently put on a CAI), the most gain is from removing torque management along with a few other adjustments. Take a look at their dyno chart for the 3.7 engine. It gets rid of the dead zone after 4,000 rpms, a dead zone that I notice a lot. My explorer pulled hard up to 6,000rpms.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Just regear
better bang for the buck
CAIs do nothing but provide a loud noise

LetFreedomRing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just regear
better bang for the buck
CAIs do nothing but provide a loud noise

I've been looking for while for a deal on gears. :gr_grin:

Although I might disagree on the intake. Sure it is a hot air intake, although it does provide better throttle response with better top end in my opinion. Not much difference down low other than not requiring as much gas to get going. And yes, I've had it on long enough for my pcm to "relearn" around it.

And no, I'm not trying to justify my purchase since I didn't pay anything for mine. Just my humble opinion with no scientific data to back it up.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yep ran one for about 20,000 miles back in 05
reinstalled the stock box with Amsoil filter and got better mileage and more seat of the pants power

LetFreedomRing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep ran one for about 20,000 miles back in 05
reinstalled the stock box with Amsoil filter and got better mileage and more seat of the pants power

I don't doubt it. I was running an amsoil filter with stock box also before I switched. Although I didn't have the 3 inch hose running into like you do. I haven't really had a chance to check gas mileage since I installed it, although if it's worse, I will be going back to the stock box. Way too many short trips/long warmups lately to get a good idea.

Last edited:

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't doubt it. I was running an amsoil filter with stock box also before I switched. Although I didn't have the 3 inch hose running into like you do. I haven't really had a chance to check gas mileage since I installed it, although if it's worse, I will be going back to the stock box. Way too many short trips/long warmups lately to get a good idea.

Well think of it this way. If you ever go wheeling and decide to go through a big puddle, there could be a massive amount of splash up from underneath and which could get sucked up through the CAI which will destroy your motor. The stock box prevents that from happening.

LetFreedomRing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, that is possible. Although 99% of my driving is on the road. If I ever do go wheeling, I'll just switch the stock box back in.

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even if 99% of your driving is on paved road, you still have the chance to run through a larger puddle and get water into the intake.

LetFreedomRing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not too concerned about that, it's protected pretty good. I think I would have issues with my jeep floating away before I soak the intake.

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'd be surprised with how much splashback even a few inches of water will cause

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well think of it this way. If you ever go wheeling and decide to go through a big puddle, there could be a massive amount of splash up from underneath and which could get sucked up through the CAI which will destroy your motor. The stock box prevents that from happening.
Can but with KJ's design not likely unless you stop.I've been in water above my hood with the AFE system and the filter never even got wet(have AEM dryflow filter on).Just kept it at a steady 5mph.I know have a water sock over the filter just ion case.

Oh and yes I know stay away from those "hot air intakes",I run it for space issues as I needed a place to mount my compressor to run my ARB's.

LetFreedomRing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can but with KJ's design not likely unless you stop.I've been in water above my hood with the AFE system and the filter never even got wet(have AEM dryflow filter on).Just kept it at a steady 5mph.I know have a water sock over the filter just ion case.

Oh and yes I know stay away from those "hot air intakes",I run it for space issues as I needed a place to mount my compressor to run my ARB's.

I ended up with the AFE stage 2 intake. I believe that is the one you have. I'll keep it on for a bit to see if mileage changes any. If it gets worse, I'll put the stock intake back on. Like I said before, this didn't cost me anything so I figured it be worth trying it out.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ended up with the AFE stage 2 intake. I believe that is the one you have. I'll keep it on for a bit to see if mileage changes any. If it gets worse, I'll put the stock intake back on. Like I said before, this didn't cost me anything so I figured it be worth trying it out.
The cage and lack of stock washer bottle actually brings alot of cooler air into that system then you think.That hole left by removing the stock washer bottle and no front wheel well liners shoots cold air from the rotating tires.I also heat wrapped the plastic tube,that helps greatly.