$200 for Ziebart Rust Protection - Rip-off or worth doing?

Ziebart 'professional' Rust Protection Service: WORTH IT OR WASTE OF $

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thegreatgate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recently bought a 2003 Liberty Limited with about 170k miles on it...Is it worth getting this service done or a waste? I'll probably have the jeep another 2 to 3 years before selling and hopefully upgrading if all goes well! Just bought it so not going anywhere anytime soon, and I have a gift card with about $200 on it laying around the house ready to be used.... :shrug:
http://www.ziebart.com/protection/undercoating/

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Luckily when I bought mine it was super clean underneath. Since we get some salt around here in winter, I decided to undercoat mine. It was not that oily stuff or rubber stuff that takes forever to dry, that smells bad. They had some sort of Teflon based more dry paint type undercoat that dried quickly and will protect quite well. They offered free touch ups as well. When undercoating, consider dry weather mandatory, allow a few days dry time, before driving in the rain.
41432[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

With outside exposure to salt/mud/rain mine will need a touch up after 3 years.
Many just use rattle paint and keep it clean, but salt is brutal on paint/& metal.
I am glad I undercoated it, I can use all the help in rust prevention I can get.

Attachments

• Undercoated.jpg
    Undercoated.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 0

Minimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry to hijack but TC are those Goodyear silent armour tires in the picture? my next-door neighbor just put them on their santa'fe and they howl really bad. how do you find them?

Also riddler cover looks great!!

first&lastKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a $100 electric pressure washer (not as powerful as a gas one) and I keep the underside of my vehicles clean and a can of flat black spray paint once a year keeps the underside looking good.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
sorry to hijack but TC are those Goodyear silent armour tires in the picture? my next-door neighbor just put them on their santa'fe and they howl really bad. how do you find them?

Also riddler cover looks great!!

They are louder than stock ... but I would not say that they howl. Just a gentle meaty whir :D

Oh and I can answer for him ... He LOVES them :D

Okura_hubby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my Liby from the Military purchase program. Basically made to order at a discount. I went with the option as I thought going to Hawaii who knows if Ocean water will get on it or not. Anyway.. The cost to do it doesnt warent the benefit.

I suggest this.. Go online and get some POR-15 and a brush and paint anything that you think might need protecting. Just be careful not to paint threads on bolts.. You may not get those bolts off again. I painted my driveshaft, skid plates, rear suspension components, front lower control arms, frame parts. This is some TUFF paint.. Two friends one with a 55 Chevy Nomad and 56 Chevy Coup painted the entire undercarage with it, the other painted his 68 Chevy Pickup under side, engine bay and bed. I used it on my inner fenders and back side of my bumpers and few other parts on my Falcon wagon, and as I said I painted alot of stuff on my Liby with it. I wish I had not gotten the Ziebart and would have painted the entire underside in it.

So save the money on Ziebart, go get you a medium size can of POR-15, put tape on anything that has threads and go to town. Use surgical or some form of gloves as it is very hard to get off your hands once it dries. Very tough stuff.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Now that POR-15 looks like some good undercoating paint.
Once on, I bet that stuff is good for years.
Oh ya Luke is right I do Love my Silent Armor's.
Wonder why Luke did not make a comment about his, as he also runs them.

Okura_hubby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is very good at stopping/preventing rust. It just dont handle UV well. Anyone who is into hot rodding swears by it... Just be warned.. it is very difficult to get off your skin so wear gloves..

JeepinJarhead03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
used to use it on the salt trucks, it's pretty good stuff, once it's on it's not coming off without a grinder/sand blaster

as mentioned, requires a uv topcoat if exposed but for an undercarriage brush it on let it cure and either don't worry about it orspray it over with some flat black rustoleum rust performer and call it a day..

or hose it with fluorescent orange caution paint.. :p

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.