2 random questions - more tread in front/rear? & cell phone mount?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dchadjohnson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay so I have 2 completely random and unrelated questions about my 2007 KJ Limited...

First, my rear tires are different brand and much more worn than my front tires (that way when I bought the Jeep a few months back). It's better (safer) to have the tires with more tread in the rear, no? Last time i got an oil change the shop refused to rotate my tires b/c of the different tires, but I'm going to try again when I go for another oil change on Friday. Eventually I'll have $$ to buy 5 new AT tires and this will be a moot point, but until then...

Second, I am trying to find a cell phone mount that can attach semi-permanently to the dash - something like this: http://www.panavise.com/pdf_indash/75122-402.pdf that goes into the gaps between the panels of the dash or by the stereo, but I can't afford to spend >$50 for a mount/clip/etc. I currently use a windshield mounted clamp version (but hate the obstruction & overheating phone), and have tried a vent mount (didn't stay on or fit my phone well), and a magnetic mount (adhesive on the mount and plate failed). What have people put into their Liberties - maybe someone has fabricated a custom mount idea?

Thanks!

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's weird that they wouldn't do it.. id just do it myself.. and yes, higher tread in the rear.. though with the winter months gone it won't matter quite so much.
Can't help with the cell mount though, I just use my cup holder :D

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could probably find and fabricate a bracket like you linked to... I mean, it's only 1/8" steel bent a few times to a 90 degree and then holes drilled into it..

I recently found a suction cup mount that I like, it's solid as an anchor, but as you say, there is always a little obstruction of view with those.

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If more than 4/32 tread hight from front to rear. It can affect the traction control and abs. Because the computer can see that a tire is moving faster than the other. So the computer interprets that fast spinning wheel is slipping and will cut power or apply brakes to that wheel to try and bring it back to the same speed as the other. Usually when tires get to this point an abs light or traction control light will come on indicating a problem that it can't​adjust.
As far as tires. Better tires always up front. If you start to spin the rears. You can always let off of the gas to stop them and alow them to gain traction again. If the more worn are up front and you take a corner and turn the wheel and the vehicle keeps going straight. What can you do? Besides trying to stop. Nothing. And hope that you get some traction back to avoid an accident. With the better tires up front. You will most likely forgo that situation. But that being said the rear with the bad tread can cause the back to lose traction in same turn and cause you to fishtail or spin out. Question is. Which one would you prefer to try to get out of. A front wheel skid with no way of turning. Or one where the backend is moving around?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If different brands and different amounts of tread left its not good at all.
On a 4 wheel drive all 4 should be the same size
When I was managing tire shops we wouldn't of done it either ( mainly due to the above that I mentioned

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.