2 problems with driver side door

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the most irritating one is the autolock hardly works on it. It pushes the lock button up a bit but not enough to unlock the door and same goes for locking. I have to lock/unlock the driver's door manually most of the time. It's as if the lock actuator is almost dead in that door only. I took the door apart and the lock moves freely. Anyone else have this problem with any of their doors?

Second, how do I adjust the door? It needs to go up a bit. I tried loosening some bolts and lifting the door but it doesn't work...
Thank

Phil + Neela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a similar problem in my old Explorer. I figured it out by taking the door apart and discovering that the lock motor had broken free from the door itself, causing the lock to do the half-up/half-down you're talking about. If you hear a thump when you hit lock or unlock, that may be the problem.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Sounds to me like the electric lock actuator is worn out.
Remove the old one and then take it along with you and
go to Princess Auto and rummage through their surplus
department for a replacement.
I did this for my Pa's neighbour and found one for a Subaru
he was working on...
I got lucky!

G36 Shooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the most irritating one is the autolock hardly works on it. It pushes the lock button up a bit but not enough to unlock the door and same goes for locking. I have to lock/unlock the driver's door manually most of the time. It's as if the lock actuator is almost dead in that door only. I took the door apart and the lock moves freely. Anyone else have this problem with any of their doors?

Second, how do I adjust the door? It needs to go up a bit. I tried loosening some bolts and lifting the door but it doesn't work...
Thank

It could be that your upper hinge is worn, you might be able loosen the two bolts on the piller side, not too much and than smack the hinge forward. use some kind of flat blade tool and place that against the hinge next to the piller and strike with a heavy hammer, good luck.

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nowhere near my Jeep at the moment but from memory, I think the hinges have 3 bolts that bolt to the body. Slacken top AND bottom hinges to allow it to move and try and slide the top hinge towards the front of the Jeep which will have the effect of lifting the top of the door upwards at the catch side (in a clockwise direction) when the door is closed. Don't slacken the bolts too much or the door will drop. Just enough to allow the door to move. Leave the lower hinge bolts a bit tighter than the top and when you are happy with the position of the door, adjust the door catch to suit the door. Steve :smokin:

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oops. Forgot yours is left hand drive. Make the wording in brackets ANTI CLOCKWISE. Or counter clockwise or whatever you call it over there. :smokin:

Latest posts

Members online