2 more questions before lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cbpf9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ordered ironman struts and ome hd springs jba top plate and have about 8 conduit nuts just doing front lift back is done for now.. just opinons I know its not a guarantee. But how many conduit nuts and how high you guys think it will be dont want to over do it and dont want to come up short and have to pull it apart again and put more in... and I dp have rocklizard convertible bumper on the front.

Second..... just threw on my spring compressors on my ome springs and they seem to compress pretty easy how much inch wise do u need to compress the springs to get them on? And wat makes this so difficult that everyone says use a shop to do it?

Thanks in advanced!

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Ordered ironman struts and ome hd springs jba top plate and have about 8 conduit nuts just doing front lift back is done for now.. just opinons I know its not a guarantee. But how many conduit nuts and how high you guys think it will be dont want to over do it and dont want to come up short and have to pull it apart again and put more in...

Second..... just threw on my spring compressors on my ome springs and they seem to compress pretty easy how much inch wise do u need to compress the springs to get them on? And wat makes this so difficult that everyone says use a shop to do it?

Thanks in advanced!

Most like to keep their face intact, if you have ever seen a spring come out of one of those cheap a**compressors you'd know the reason.
If you are not doing anything to the rear then its going to be way off
OME springs with top plate and 3 per side conduit nuts puts you at 3.75 to 4 inches of lift right away. Are you using JBA UCAs as well? if not then good luck , you'll have lots of spring / UCA contact
Without JBA UCAs stick with top plate and at most one conduit nut

You don't compress them to install on to the KJ just compress to install shock/spring together

cbpf9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used the spring compressors before on a full size pick up and yes it was scary these seemed easier to compress the aactually went down pretty easy. I just figure that if I have to bring to a shop fornsprings I may as well have them do the whole thing considering I dont have much time to take it all apart and run parts around to get done.

The rear is lifted already and I will probably add an iso or 2 to level things out if need be.

As far as control arms will do soon hopefully just not in the budget rite now.

Thanks for the tip on the conduit nuts just wasnt sure keep reading all this stuff and seems like lift heights are all over the place I do have the rl bumper on there so wasnt sure if that made a difference.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For $25 bucks and 30 minutes of your time a shop will assemble the front springs/shocks for you. They'll charge you $500 or more to do the whole thing so your analogy isn't quite right. Save a trip to the hospital or morgue and have the shop assemble them - while they're doing that you can clean the rust and grime off the front suspension. Seriously, don't compress and assemble them yourself. Not worth it :thumbsdown:

As for the conduit nuts, don't use any more than three. Any more than that and too much of the shock is out of the clevis and it's dangerous at that point besides being too high.

My 2 cents...

Bob

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Every time someone mentions those cheap spring compressors I see my buddys face after one of the bolts broke and the full force of a compressed spring hit his face. Went from laughing one minute to a vegetable the next.
Even with shop compressors things can go bad. When the shop was doing my 790s one came loose, traveled clear across the shop and chipped a chunk of concrete block wall .
Do what you want but I just hope I never have to read on any of the forums of someone having an accident

What we always did here was to remove the fronts, drop them at the shop, do the rear , get some lunch, pick the fronts up and be done

tlrtucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Add me to the group of people suggesting to take it in to a shop for the coil spring removal.

I just did my lift last week and my buddy brought his Harbor Freight spring compressor and insisted he could do it. After watching him fiddle with it for close to an hour we found that with how tight the coils are it simply was NOT possible to do it - forgot about doing it safely. And the Ironman coils are even tighter than the stockers, so forget about it. I could literally see the threaded rod starting to flex under the springs force and it wasn't even beginning to compress the springs. Hell, even the shop that did the swap for me mentioned how tough the Ironman regular duty spring was to compress - and that's using a hydraulic press made for the job.

I've done a lot of iffy/stupid stuff in my life, but that was sketchy!! :thumbsdown:

cbpf9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK thanks guys I will be be bringing them to a shop. Shes going under the knife tomorrow and hope it all goes well.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK thanks guys I will be be bringing them to a shop. Shes going under the knife tomorrow and hope it all goes well.

I'm literally breathing a sigh of relief right now. Follow the schedule Tom mentioned above (I did exactly - tho lunch lasted a little longer than planned...) and you'll be able to enjoy your Jeep for a long time :waytogo:

Bob

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
The last guy who tried compressing them on his own got away with it.

Once.

You must be registered for see images attach