2 issues-4x4 part time light & PRNDL shifter stuck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nightowl007

Reaction score
I have two issues and after a search, I have some ideas, but it does not seem like I can find anyone else with this same issue.

After the Jeep cools off, or on cold days, I can't get the Jeep to shift out of park without both hands on the shifter. I press the brake pedal down, the brake lights come on (so the brake switch is working), and it takes both hands on the shifter to depress the shifter button just to get the shifter out of park. Once it warms up it gets way better. It still is not right as it feels stiff. From what I have read, that is an adjustment under the center console? I could not find any other information as far as what to adjust. I guess I'll pull the console and poke around to see if I can figure it out.

The second is the 4x4 part time light. The light is on when is 2 wheel drive, off in part time 4x4. The 4x4 works like it should just the light is backwards. In my mind I'm thinking shift linkage adjustment, but I have found posts about the 4x4 position sensor. Being as broke as I am, will there be any damage that I have to be concerned with if I just ignore the 4x4 part time light for now? I have had several 4x4's, but this is the first time I have ever had an issue with 4x4.

Nightowl007

Reaction score
BTW. The 4x4 part time light occurred the other day when I put it in 4x4 hi. I pulled a little to far up and I heard a clunk. The shifter issue seems to be worse since then, but that could be a mental thing as I have the 4x4 part time light issue too now.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4x4 light is indeed the Transfer Case Position Switch/Sensor. No damage is done from not getting this fixed. Mine was like that for 4-5 years and I finally JUST fixed it (because it will eventually throw a CEL for it and I needed to pass inspection).

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW. The 4x4 part time light occurred the other day when I put it in 4x4 hi. I pulled a little to far up and I heard a clunk. The shifter issue seems to be worse since then, but that could be a mental thing as I have the 4x4 part time light issue too now.

The clunk could have been the cable end popping off the shifter arm. If it came disconnected, then the t-case is still in 4 hi. Do you not feel much resistance when moving the shifter up and down? Since you're taking the console off anyway, you can give that a look see.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The clunk could have been the cable end popping off the shifter arm. If it came disconnected, then the t-case is still in 4 hi. Do you not feel much resistance when moving the shifter up and down? Since you're taking the console off anyway, you can give that a look see.

I didn't take the console off to replace the switch. Got it right from the bottom. Easy peasy. :Bye:

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't take the console off to replace the switch. Got it right from the bottom. Easy peasy. :Bye:

If the cable popped off the shifter arm (under the console) while pulled up into 4x4, then lowering the now disconnected handle isn't going to move the linkage (and switch mechanism) at the t-case. No switch is going to fix that, if in fact the cable became disconnected. I'm suspecting it may be a mechanical thing, since switches generally don't go clunk! ;)

Latest posts

Members online