2.5-3" Lift, No Other Mods - Safe Tire Size?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you notice any trouble with gearing at that size?

Of course you are going to , it's a 31.5 inch tall tire.
You start noticing loss of power and mileage at 30-30.5
Need 4.10s at that size, heck I run a 30.6 inch and have 4.10s doesn't down shift all the time etc

Tim'sliberty

Reaction score
My 2002 Jeep Liberty

I have a 2002 KJ. I have done a lot of work to it. Now I'm lifting it 2.5". I was getting OME springs. They say it will raise it 2.5" with OME 927 and 948 springs. The problem I'm having with the OME spring is everyone says get the OME 927 and 948 springs to add 2.5". But when I go to buy them they say 1.5". So what's the deal there? Will they add 1.5" or 2.5"? I see that ABL has red 2.5" springs for the back but not front. I haven't decided which struts and shocks yet. I thinking of JBA's but really not looking to spend ($1500) that's a little much on struts. They are very nice though. Maybe Rancho's But my question is I put 2014 JK's 5x5 wheels on with 1.25" spacers. I had to go from 5x4.5 to 5x5 so I used spacers. I want to get mud tires after the lift. I have been reading all the post and I haven't seen anyone say anything about wheel spacers. I know it moved the tire out so it's going ride different off road. Will I be able to run 245/65R17 or 245/70R17?? Without cutting the the plastic flares. I'm doing the pinch weld, but I do not want to modify the flares.

Thanks for any information

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
You'll get 2.5". 1.5" is stated for liability reasons.

What wheels are you running? With my Moabs (stick out an inch beyond stock) and 245/75/16s, I get some decent rubbing at the front of the wheel wells but nothing on the pinchweld.

Tim'sliberty

Reaction score
Rim size

I purchased 2014 JK's 17" 5 star Factory rims with 235/65r17 tires right now. I put 2" spring spacers on the back just to see if I could get rid of the rubbing on rear. It only rubbed when front wheel was up on berm which pushes the back wheel up in to wheel well and had rubbing on plastic flares. So the rubbing went away with the 2" spacers. So that's why I'm looking to do a full 2.5" lift the right way. No spacers. I had no rubbing on the front end. I want a bigger tires (Mud tires) But not sure what I can run on a 2.5" Lift.

Attachments

• aly09074u20n_6.jpg
    aly09074u20n_6.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I purchased 2014 JK's 17" 5 star Factory rims with 235/65r17 tires right now. I put 2" spring spacers on the back just to see if I could get rid of the rubbing on rear. It only rubbed when front wheel was up on berm which pushes the back wheel up in to wheel well and had rubbing on plastic flares. So the rubbing went away with the 2" spacers. So that's why I'm looking to do a full 2.5" lift the right way. No spacers. I had no rubbing on the front end. I want a bigger tires (Mud tires) But not sure what I can run on a 2.5" Lift.

That is why you add extra bumpstops front and rear

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Sad, should of bought correct wheels so no need to run spacers
Look at tire specs and stay at 30 inch tall tire

Tim'sliberty

Reaction score
Sad but true. I purchased these rims all 5 with new 265/75r17 Goodyear Wranglers on them for $250. I sold the tires for $200. So I only have $50 into the rim. If you can find 5 rims in new shape for $50 I will buy them. The problem with aftermarket rims is they don't last like factory rims. They will start pitting after a couple years. I wasn't planning on lifting the jeep when I bought it. I purchased this Liberty for my 16 year old daughter 3 years ago. Now she is in Japan in the Air Force so my plans have changed for the KJ. I was going to sale it but I already have a lot of money into it with the new motor and everything else I've done. So I decided to put more money into it. Now I have to work with what I have.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Sad but true. I purchased these rims all 5 with new 265/75r17 Goodyear Wranglers on them for $250. I sold the tires for $200. So I only have $50 into the rim. If you can find 5 rims in new shape for $50 I will buy them. The problem with aftermarket rims is they don't last like factory rims. They will start pitting after a couple years. I wasn't planning on lifting the jeep when I bought it. I purchased this Liberty for my 16 year old daughter 3 years ago. Now she is in Japan in the Air Force so my plans have changed for the KJ. I was going to sale it but I already have a lot of money into it with the new motor and everything else I've done. So I decided to put more money into it. Now I have to work with what I have.

Plenty of wheels that are OEM that will work and not costs much
So you have 50 bucks in the wheels but two hundred in good quality spacers , where is the difference ?

Tim'sliberty

Reaction score
Could you show me a good set of 5 OEM 5x4.5 rims close to Orlando Florida for $250 let me know. When I was looking for months there was none that I liked. So that's why I went the way I did. All the rims I looked at where all pitted. Then when you find a good set they want to much for them. Sorry some people have a small budget. It's not the wrong way just not your way. I see plenty of 4x4's with spacers. You seem not to like spacers. You committed on another post I did 3 years ago when I started building this Liberty and said something about having spacers and 17" rims. You said my tires were going to rub. Well with 235/65/17 I had no rubbing until you went over a 3' berm and then it would rub just a little bit in the rear wheel well. At the time I had no intentions of go up with this Liberty. I was just trying to make the jeep look aggressive for my daughter. Which it does look good the way it sits now. But now I want to raise it and have to use what I already have. It's going to cost around $2500 or more for lift kit and tires. Definitely can't afford rims too.

Thanks for your help though

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I sold my OEM Limited rims with decent Nitto Terra Grapplers on them for $250 I think. I got my Moabs for $230 for a set of 5. Good deals on OEM wheels are out there if you check CL often enough.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
In the past ten years I have bought 5 sets of Moabs all for under 250 bucks for example. Sold tires off of 4 sets that either paid for all of the wheels or at least half.
Just found a set of 5 wheels off of a renegade for 150 bucks with half way decent tires yet for the 05
Like mentioned above they can be found with a little work
Been around spacers since they first came out, would never run them on anything I own or build period

Dave_too

Reaction score
x2 on the above.

I have 245/70/17s which are the same as 245/75/16s, with about 2.5" of lift, and no rubbing. Had to trim the air dam and the front of wheel wells a bit, but left the pinchweld alone. I actually just passed on a set Moabs for these reasons....thought they'd create some problems for no benefit (I like my stock wheels just fine).
This has been my experience with about a 2 to 2.5 in lift and 245/65/17s on OEM rims. No messing about with the pinchweld or trimming. I did have to put in some missing fasteners in the left inner fender which fixed a minor occasional issue with that wheel.