2.4 power upgrades?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lulu

Reaction score
has anyone found anything to boost power and throttle response? 2002 kj sport 5 speed manual trans 2.4l stock.

LetFreedomRing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel you pain, I have that motor in my Stratus. I couldn't imagine having it in a heavier vehicle. About your only option for decent power is to put a turbo it. Although a neon SRT4 motor should drop right in if you have the skills.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
has anyone found anything to boost power and throttle response? 2002 kj sport 5 speed manual trans 2.4l stock.

Trading it in on a V6 model is the cheapest and easiest way to get another 60 hp and 100 lb ft of torque.

Why Chrysler put the 2.4 into a 4,000lb Jeep, we'll never know.

Sent from ThunderbirdJunkie's mind because the Matrix is real, Neo.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
I feel you pain, I have that motor in my Stratus. I couldn't imagine having it in a heavier vehicle. About your only option for decent power is to put a turbo it. Although a neon SRT4 motor should drop right in if you have the skills.

The SRT4 engine will be an exercise in fabrication skills because the plumbing is all wrong for a longitudinal application.

LetFreedomRing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The SRT4 engine will be an exercise in fabrication skills because the plumbing is all wrong for a longitudinal application.

I said should drop in(as into the motor mounts), not that everything (plumbing) should line up. If I'm not mistaken, both motors are basically the same. Only difference is that the SRT4 motor is beefed up internally.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
I said should drop in(as into the motor mounts), not that everything (plumbing) should line up. If I'm not mistaken, both motors are basically the same. Only difference is that the SRT4 motor is beefed up internally.

In theory. ITBJRC the 2.4 has two sets of motor mount bosses, and a transverse engine will require the longitudinal bosses to be drilled, the starter may or may not mount to the other side of the block, too. Plus, you'd also have to get the SRT4 ECM to play nice with the KJ BCM, or get a standalone boost controller and have somebody tune the ECM accordingly. And then, the plumbing. And cooling...and the fact that SRT4s regularly popped head gaslets at stock boost levels in a light car...increase that load either way, and you'll get really good at working on turbo 2.4 KJs.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
lulu, engines from the factory are made to have a nice, flat torque curve. You can advance timing, improve airflow, etc etc, but all of that is going to move your power curve higher in the rev range, which is not a good thing when it comes to a heavy pig like a KJ, especially with a tiny engine that's peaky to begin with.

Trade it in for a V6 if you want more power. You will be money ahead. The extra couple or 3 grand you might be out will be less than getting another 60 hp and 100 lb ft out of that 2.4.