17 Inch Tire Sizes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJJosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before I start I just wanted to say why do the guys/gals with 17inch rims seem to be frown apon? Is it because it was an optional wheel size? :D

Now that I have that out of my system. I want to know what my options would be on a tire size. I'm installing an OME/Rancho (927/948) an would like a man tire that will have little to no rubbling. A good on road tire since this is a daily driver but something I can wheel with on the weekends. If I have to do the pinch weld mod I will but dont want to because a lack of tools. I have searched all over and all I can find is info on the 16

Vranes17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont mean to thread jack but you posted this just before i was ab to post so ill throw my question in here. Will 255/70/17s require more than the pinch weld mod?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Hard to fine off road tires in a KJ size... 245/65 would fit, maybe 235/70. The 17" rim bumps everything up from a 16" rim. For tires, Destination AT :)

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Dont mean to thread jack but you posted this just before i was ab to post so ill throw my question in here. Will 255/70/17s require more than the pinch weld mod?

With 17's, hell yes

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like my 17s. Just because you cannot off-road with them doesn't mean you have to hate them. I know a lot of people who keep two set of rims/tires, one for city because they don't want to chew that rubber or have even worse mpg, so they keep swapping, especially if they wheel it rarely. For city folks like me, and few others I know, 17s+A/T tires work perfectly well as well.

KJedmonton

Reaction score
Before I start I just wanted to say why do the guys/gals with 17inch rims seem to be frown apon? Is it because it was an optional wheel size? :D

Now that I have that out of my system. I want to know what my options would be on a tire size. I'm installing an OME/Rancho (927/948) an would like a man tire that will have little to no rubbling. A good on road tire since this is a daily driver but something I can wheel with on the weekends. If I have to do the pinch weld mod I will but dont want to because a lack of tools. I have searched all over and all I can find is info on the 16

I have the the 17" as well and searching for a 245/70R17 (30.5") seems to give allot of options soon as I get my lift on im going to order DuraTrac's in that size. I don't know allot about this stuff, but I hope with a lift this size will work for us 17'ers.:confused:

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my 17" optional chrome clad wheels. They blend in well with the rest of the Limited edition chrome accents. I got 235/65 tires. 245/65 also fits without having to do any modding.

Uncle Krusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too have been plagued with the 17" chrome clad Limited wheels on my 06. I'm in the process of shopping for my second set of tires for these.

The Libby came with the 235/65/17s and one of the few choices I found a couple years back were the Toyo Open Country ATs. These came in the same 235/65/17 size. They have been great tires, though they are about worn out at 50K (they are a 50K tire, so I can't really complain).

Back then (late 2007) the 17" tires were quite a bit more expensive than there 16" counterparts. From what I've seen recently though, the prices are more in line with what you'd pay for a 16" eqiv.

I recently completed an OME lift, and hoping the added clearance will open up my tire options to a more "standard" size, thus cutting the price.

Would I trade my 17" Chrome rims for a good set of 16" cast aluminums - In a heartbeat! But not to worry, it is getting easier to find reasonably priced 17"s in an AT treadpatern.

KJJosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would I trade my 17" Chrome rims for a good set of 16" cast aluminums - In a heartbeat! But not to worry, it is getting easier to find reasonably priced 17"s in an AT treadpatern.

I know alot of people that are doing just that and I fear after it is all said and done I might have to do the same.

I might have talked the guy that is doing my lift for me into trying on different tires sizes to see how they fit. If he is cool with it I will compile a list that shows which ones will fit with no mods and if mods are needed where to mod. \\:D/

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am running the OEM 17" wheels so I guess I am also a member of the 17" club.. When I changed the tires I had trouble finding A/T's that I liked in 17". I ended up getting Hercules Terra Trac A/T's. The tread looks similar to a REVO and they are ok in mild to moderate off-road and quiet on the street.. I think there is more tire choices now in 17" A/T tires than when I was looking.

Dave

KJedmonton

Reaction score
I know alot of people that are doing just that and I fear after it is all said and done I might have to do the same.

I might have talked the guy that is doing my lift for me into trying on different tires sizes to see how they fit. If he is cool with it I will compile a list that shows which ones will fit with no mods and if mods are needed where to mod. \\:D/

(bowdown) Sounds great!!!!!

KJJosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeh200284, any updates?

I installed a 245/70/17 anything bigger would have required alot more mods..

This size requres the pinch weld to be pounded down. and the lower air dam (on the front bumber) and inner fender to be trimmed due to minor rubbing. (pics to follow)

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
We all own Jeeps here...
17 inch plus size wheels are meant for touring/sports cars.
Not Jeeps.

Thats why are real tyres for 4X4's are 16 inch and 15 diameter wheels.

But then again, if yer a mall crawler...

mount what you wan't, but dont whine about it later!

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
I got 17''! I would get diff wheels but i dont think any other color would look right!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We all own Jeeps here...
17 inch plus size wheels are meant for touring/sports cars.
Not Jeeps.

Thats why are real tyres for 4X4's are 16 inch and 15 diameter wheels.

But then again, if yer a mall crawler...

mount what you wan't, but dont whine about it later!
Nothing wrong with a 17" rim.When my current tires wear out I'll be bumping up to 17" rims,though I'll be bumping up to 37" tires also.The main reason for going to 17" rims(17x9) is that is the only size the rims I want are made in for the bolt pattern that I need.

Heck 20" rims are pretty common here but they have 42"+ tires mounted on them.

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
Like soft 8s or something...idk what would look good with my KJ being the color it is. lol Do you get it now Ry'?