15" TJ Steel Wheels "Kinda" Fit...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Fixer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
Before I installed the 17's on my wife's Liberty, I took the time to try out a spare '04 TJ 15" steel rim. It does indeed "fit", and the wheel spins fine, but it's really tight by the caliper - probably OK for the street, but I wouldn't wheel with them in case some debris got caught up in there.

You must be registered for see images attach

If the goofy lip wasn't around the inside of the rim right near the caliper, they would be no trouble at all.

Some of the other 15" wheels don't have that lip on the inside, like the aluminum Ecco rim that came stock on my XJ, and would probably work just fine. Hope it helps!

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I once tried the same idea with a set of stock 15" alloy rims from a TJ but I discovered they jammed up against the tie rod ends. Now I was able to fit my YJ's 15" rims on my KJ likely because they're backspaced.

The rims cleared the tie rod ends and would roll however I couldn't turn the steering wheel because the 33's jammed the wheel wells :D

Does anybody know if a 15" tire can be programed into the PCM? A 15" rim would provide more rubber between the rim & the road.

The Fixer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know if a 15" tire can be programed into the PCM? A 15" rim would provide more rubber between the rim & the road.

As long as the overall tire height stays the same, the PCM wouldn't know if you had a 15" rim or 16" rim. If your KJ has 235/70 16s, a swap to a 15" wheel with a 235/75 tire on it should be very close to the OEM tire height (according to the calculator here - http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html). Hope that helps!

sport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
Before I installed the 17's on my wife's Liberty, I took the time to try out a spare '04 TJ 15" steel rim. It does indeed "fit", and the wheel spins fine, but it's really tight by the caliper - probably OK for the street, but I wouldn't wheel with them in case some debris got caught up in there.

If the goofy lip wasn't around the inside of the rim right near the caliper, they would be no trouble at all.

Some of the other 15" wheels don't have that lip on the inside, like the aluminum Ecco rim that came stock on my XJ, and would probably work just fine. Hope it helps!

Add a set of spyder trax wheel spacers and your good to go.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
What size of Soft 8 are you running Sport?

I am thinking on some 15's but not sure if I should go 15x7 or 15x8??

If those are 15" soft 8's, do you have any issues with them rubbing on calipers?

hawaiianbasshead

Reaction score
so with spacers some cast 15"s may clear? I have some 1/4" spacers I got that I never used... don't yet have a KJ but was considering one again today LOL. 1st time back in a year I believe..

Awww KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Steve,
That's about as tight as an 83-85 Olds chrome 15 x 7" wheel on a 95 B-body 9C1 caliper / spindle with third gen 1LE f-body rotor.

The Fixer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Steve,
That's about as tight as an 83-85 Olds chrome 15 x 7" wheel on a 95 B-body 9C1 caliper / spindle with third gen 1LE f-body rotor.

I've never seen pics of the SS III bolted on the B-body spindle, but I did remember hearing they worked. I had plenty of clearance with my old 16's and the 1LE/B-body setup, and have even more room with the 17's on the car now. :) You must be a fellow G-body nut!