13 mpgs ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deliciousdaly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found out where all my money is going. I put on some 32 inch tires on my Libby about a year ago and I'm getting 13 mpgs. That's about 240 miles until my tank is empty, not only that my truck is slower than most bicycles. Is that normal? I wish I could go back to stock tires :(

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, thats normal. Either get smaller tires or re-gear ti 4:10 gears($$$).

Edit: Since your Jeep is 2wd, its not problem for you to re gear since you dont need to worry about the front diff. Heck, you can go lower than 4:10 if you want.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Regear to 4:10, and your MPG and power will just about be back.

deliciousdaly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At that cost I should just get smaller tires. I always get buyers remorse with anything I do, I thought by getting the taller tires it would make my jeep sit higher but it really didn't... I don't think. When I park next to other weaker looking libbies my jeep is only a little higher.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At that cost I should just get smaller tires. I always get buyers remorse with anything I do, I thought by getting the taller tires it would make my jeep sit higher but it really didn't... I don't think. When I park next to other weaker looking libbies my jeep is only a little higher.

Bigger tires = lost power and mpg.

As my friend's mechanic said to him "I get people coming in here all the time with 4 Cylinder Toyota's saying 'I put 33" tires on my 'yota, and now it doesn't have any power'"

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Since you're 2wd, you should be able to regear for about a grand, so about the same as a descent set of smaller tires...and your KJ will look better!

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regear
R&P with master install kit ,new bearings and seals should be about $250-$300
a good install should be about $300-$400
at best you are looking at $700
considering that quality tires will run about $125 each X 5 (including M&B) so $625
it is all about what you want
you have the 32's and the Jeep looks cool but ***** to drive
or the Jeep can look average but drive better
which do you want?

however IMO
it is a 2wd Jeep
sell it and buy a 4X4

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found out where all my money is going. I put on some 32 inch tires on my Libby about a year ago and I'm getting 13 mpgs. That's about 240 miles until my tank is empty, not only that my truck is slower than most bicycles. Is that normal? I wish I could go back to stock tires :(

How are you getting the 13MPG figure? Did you have your PCM programed for the larger tires? If you didn't then your odometer & speedometer and your MPG calculations will be off.

The PCM in my 04 Libby is programmed for my LT245/75R16 AT tires and I get about 22MPG highway. This past week I was running the stock P215/70R16 tires. My speedometer was way off and the EVIC actually reported I was getting 29MPG, yeah right.