12v 21W Bulb Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got my aftermarket taillights and they came with 12v 21W twist on bulbs instead of the stock wedge type bulbs.

They are bright, but they may go out soon, I plan to replace them with bright LEDs, but I am not sure what to get, or if there is even twist on at same wattage. I assume wattage should not be an issue as long as I get 12v?

http://www.lightlens.com/ledbulbs.htm

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 27 watt bulb will draw 1/2 amp more than the 21 watt version, or add 1 amp total to the circuit. Can't say for sure what the fuse rating is on that circuit but I don't think the increase would be a problem.

billforde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just replaced mined with LEDs. I had to use a resistor on the turn signals because "fast" blinking.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Kevin, no idea about that..

Bill, thanks. I was planning to replace the stop bulbs and back up lights only. I knew about the fast blink problem on signals so I didn't want to touch it.
But if there is an easy way, I don't mind trying it. Again the aftermarket tails come with twist on bulbs, I am not sure if the twist on LEDs will provide the dual lighting action of parking lights + brake lights. Does yours?

billforde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Kevin, no idea about that..

Bill, thanks. I was planning to replace the stop bulbs and back up lights only. I knew about the fast blink problem on signals so I didn't want to touch it.
But if there is an easy way, I don't mind trying it. Again the aftermarket tails come with twist on bulbs, I am not sure if the twist on LEDs will provide the dual lighting action of parking lights + brake lights. Does yours?

You can get the resistor kit from autozone (or ebay). Its an easy install.

Latest posts

Members online