'08 Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redrock08

Reaction score
I Love my new Jeep

This is the my first Jeep. I have always wanted one. I read everyones postings, and I agree to alot of it, but since I have never had a Liberty before I can't stop talking about how great this vehicle is. It's a 08 Liberty Limited 4x4 with the 18 inch wheels. The Low range is very powerful. I can't believe how gripy the vehicle becomes when in low range.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the my first Jeep. I have always wanted one. I read everyones postings, and I agree to alot of it, but since I have never had a Liberty before I can't stop talking about how great this vehicle is. It's a 08 Liberty Limited 4x4 with the 18 inch wheels. The Low range is very powerful. I can't believe how gripy the vehicle becomes when in low range.

Are your running 4-Lo on dirt/sand/snow? The grip is awesome at that range on those loose terrains. Don't run it on dry pavement though.

demarpaint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have our 08 Liberty Limited for about 2 weeks now, and are very pleased with it. Its our first Jeep, sorry we waited so long. Seems very solid, and the ride is good. It seems to have plenty of power, although I've read that there are hopes it gets the 4.0L in 2009. To me the 3.7L is proven and seems good enough. We have the Select-Trac 4x4 system, and for my wife who is a first time 4 wheeler I think it was a wise choice. No danger in forgetting to turn it off if the road is not slippery!

I am hopeful that after its broken in the gas mileage improves. They should have used a different material/color for the door seal plates. Those are my only complaints.

I have a feeling there is a catch to the lifetime warranty. Somehow I see them suggesting a lot of maintenance work, and if not done by the inspecting dealer the warranty is void, but that is just speculation (having worked in various dealerships.......LOL). For those DYI'ers keep receipts of all work, and a good log book.

Frank D

redrock08

Reaction score
Are your running 4-Lo on dirt/sand/snow? The grip is awesome at that range on those loose terrains. Don't run it on dry pavement though.

I think we have nothing but sand and then mud here in Florida.
But sand is the only fun I have. Yes I know about not driving it on pavment in 4x4.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think we have nothing but sand and then mud here in Florida.
But sand is the only fun I have. Yes I know about not driving it on pavment in 4x4.

SAND!! Loved taking my last Jeep to the Dunes here in Western Michigan. I might be out there again to take the KJ on some sand (for the first time). Other than that we have illegal off-road spots such as back country government roads and construction sites (lol).

greenmadman75

Reaction score
Prospective KK Owner

Hey everyone! I am new to jeepkj.com and I was wondering if someone who owns the new 2008 Jeep Liberty 4x4 could help me out a little. I am really thinking about getting the new Liberty and I would like to know how the Jeep actually is in daily life. I was able to go and test drive one the other week and I absolutely loved it but I was not able to take it on the interstate. Can someone tell me please how the Liberty drives on the interstate because some of the reviews I have read say that the liberty requires constant steering corrections. I am going to be going to college in the fall and I will be driving about 200 miles both ways to go from college to home. Also, how does the liberty do off-road? I have seen some of the pictures and that is amazing. If you have any information at all please feel free to tell me about the liberty. Thanks!

Nvr*lost

Reaction score
If you get the current edition of Motor Trend Magazine, they tested the Liberty against other SUV's/CUV's. Now before everyone gets into a war about this, I found their points to be relevant. The Liberty was judged to be last out of 8, a lot because of the gas milage and ride; the steering was noted as I recall, but I can't be sure I read about it there or somewhere else. It will be interesting to hear from the real world drivers. I have been considering the Liberty for a while. Also the Sante Fe and the CR-V. I like the styling and interior of the new Liberty, but do not like the unavailability of the larger engine (4.0) found in it's cousin, the Dodge Nitro. The. gas milage could be better too. I plan to drive all three by spring time. So far, I have only driven the Santa Fe and was impressed with it's horse power and interior. I do not need a low end 4 speed, but want all wheel drive for some snow falls. I still like the looks of the LIberty Limited.

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Liberty is a real off-roader, so that is why is does poorly in a test in a car magazine against other car-based SUVs. That is also why the mileage is not as good...

Sounds like the capability of the Libby might exceed your needs, of course, if you got one and went off-road...you would be hooked...:D

demarpaint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I am new to jeepkj.com and I was wondering if someone who owns the new 2008 Jeep Liberty 4x4 could help me out a little. I am really thinking about getting the new Liberty and I would like to know how the Jeep actually is in daily life. I was able to go and test drive one the other week and I absolutely loved it but I was not able to take it on the interstate. Can someone tell me please how the Liberty drives on the interstate because some of the reviews I have read say that the liberty requires constant steering corrections. I am going to be going to college in the fall and I will be driving about 200 miles both ways to go from college to home. Also, how does the liberty do off-road? I have seen some of the pictures and that is amazing. If you have any information at all please feel free to tell me about the liberty. Thanks!

We love ours, only issue I have is the gas mileage, but we knew about it going into the deal. For the money its a nice 4x4. I keep reading about the 4.0 and its cousin the Nitro. I'm sure the 4.0 would be a nice option, but with the 3.73 rear, and the 3.7 engine, it has plenty of power.

Frank D

DnvrJeepGuy

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I am new to jeepkj.com and I was wondering if someone who owns the new 2008 Jeep Liberty 4x4 could help me out a little.
Welcome! I'm new to the forum as well. I've had my 2008 Liberty now for about 3 months; I'll try to answer your questions for you.
Can someone tell me please how the Liberty drives on the interstate because some of the reviews I have read say that the liberty requires constant steering corrections. I am going to be going to college in the fall and I will be driving about 200 miles both ways to go from college to home.
I live in Colorado, and I've driven my Jeep 3 times on long road trips to Iowa or Missouri for the holidays. Here's what I've found:
1) The seats and the ride are more comfortable than my previous vehicle (a car), mainly due to the more natural seating position for me. With the seat being higher, I feel like I"m sitting in a more natural chair position than having my legs out further as in a car.
2) Regarding the steering issue, I haven't really noticed much a difference, except in windy conditions, where you do have to supply more steering input, since the Jeep is a less aerodynamic vehicle. Wind will buffet the vehicle more. Wind noise isn't really a problem, as some of the reviews may lead you to believe. I don't find it to be bothersome at all.

Also, how does the liberty do off-road? I have seen some of the pictures and that is amazing. If you have any information at all please feel free to tell me about the liberty. Thanks!
I've taken my Liberty up into the mountains once (the first week I had it), and my good friend here who has a Wrangler was very impressed with how my Liberty handled the trail we were on. He had previously owned a KJ Liberty, so I took that as a compliment. If you plan to do some off roading, I'd recommend getting a Liberty equipped with the skid plate package. The 4x4 Low range gives you excellent off road capability.

I hope this helps you a bit. Feel free to ask other questions.

My Liberty is my first Jeep, and I'm extremely happy with it.

---------
2008 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4
Red Rock Crystal
6-speed manual
Trailer towing package, skid plates, U-connect

greenmadman75

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies DnvrJeepGuy and demarpaint! Has anyone had any experience towing a trailer with their Liberty yet? The trailer sway control looks pretty neat. If you have pulled a trailer, how does the Liberty do with a heavy load? Thanks in advance!

RickM

Reaction score

I had an 04 Sport Liberty and now an 08 Sport Liberty.

I can tell you that there is a world of difference in handling betwen my 04 and 08. The 08 is a lot more pleasant to drive at freeway speeds. I agree with the constant corrections in the 04, but not in the 08.

In fact, yesterday, I drove up to Modesto, CA in the driving rains and winds that we've had for the past couple of days. I was amazed at how well my 08 handled the wind and rain. I didn't notice any wind buffeting at all, even when passing big rigs.

redrock_canuck

Reaction score

Have had my 08 for about a couple weeks now. At first I had a hard time adjusting to the steering input on the hwy because it felt so much looser then the Charger I had before. I've found it to be fine now though, I think it was just a matter of adjusting. Because it "felt" looser but only because the Charger had much more resistance. I drive mainly hwy, and at 55-60 (100-105 km/hr) it rides really smooth and straight.

On another note for daily driving, the turning radius is fantastic compared to the Charger I was in. I can wheel into so many different parking spots now without having to backup and adjust.

Very impressed so far however negatives are: Fuel Mileage, cheap plastic interior, small rubber on the Sport North Edition with boring Wrangler ST tires, egress is good however even at 5'9" I find myself having to move around the pillar to get out.

redrock08

Reaction score

I get nothing less than 16 miles per gallon in the city and we just went to western North Carolina a 1115 mile trip. We got a solid 21 miles per gallon on the road. Just what the sticker said. I had a Dodge Dakoda and got 15 city and 19 on the highway. So this Liberty Limited 4x4 with the 18 inch wheels gets better mileage than the Dodge. I Love MY Jeep.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been considering the Liberty for a while. Also the Sante Fe and the CR-V. I like the styling and interior of the new Liberty, but do not like the unavailability of the larger engine (4.0) found in it's cousin, the Dodge Nitro. The. gas milage could be better too. I plan to drive all three by spring time. So far, I have only driven the Santa Fe and was impressed with it's horse power and interior. I do not need a low end 4 speed, but want all wheel drive for some snow falls. I still like the looks of the LIberty Limited.

The crv and santa fe are car based and the jeep kk is not. You really can't compare them. I have driven a brand new santa fe once and it was not to my likeing at all. Everything is different. It all depends on what you are looking for in a vehicle. Look at all the specs closely. On one hand you are saying you want a bigger engine and on the other you want better gas mileage. They usually do not go hand in hand. From what I heard, the 4.0 v6 will be available in the spring. If it is important to you, then wait for it, and then you will be glad you did.

Dave

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That doesn't make sense....if you would rather have the 4.0 over the 3.7, why the heck would you even consider a CR-V?(good ole' 4 ******)

Nvr*lost

Reaction score
That doesn't make sense....if you would rather have the 4.0 over the 3.7, why the heck would you even consider a CR-V?(good ole' 4 ******)

I have been considering these vehicles for their own separate reasons and each variable carries its own weight (pros and cons) in the decision to buy the best car for me. The 4.0 was fun to drive in the Nitro, but the reliability of the Honda product gives it a lot of points, it is also into it's second year of production. Gas milage could lose out to "fun to drive" though.

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lifetime powertrain warranty with Jeep though, woohoo!!

see, problem solved...v6 power, Jeep fun, and no worries about reliability!

LOL:D

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been considering these vehicles for their own separate reasons and each variable carries its own weight (pros and cons) in the decision to buy the best car for me. The 4.0 was fun to drive in the Nitro, but the reliability of the Honda product gives it a lot of points, it is also into it's second year of production. Gas milage could lose out to "fun to drive" though.

It sounds like you have not owned any jeep model before?

Dave

greenmadman75

Reaction score
Front Airdam

Hey. Has anyone tried or heard anything about the front airdam being able to be removed for offroad use? I have read in several articles that Jeep made it easily removable for greater approach angles. If you have tried this how easily is this actually done and is it really necessary? Thanks!

Members online

No members online now.