'08 Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rick, is it easy to remove the radio and replace with aftermarket on KK?

RickM

Reaction score
I have no idea how easy it is to remove the radio. I actually kind of like the radio that in it, so unless I get the MyGig system, I'm not so sure I want to change it.

Natusik

Reaction score
Hi there, I am new to the forum and to Jeep. Looks like you guys have lots of experience, hope you can help me. I just got the 2008 Jeep Liberty Sport, just like the one on the picture above. I like it a lot, but the only thing that freaked me out - the label on the visor saying that it may tip over. If I do not go off road, just regular driving - what's the possibility of this happening? I understand there can be accidents, etc, but aside from that - how dangerous is my Jeep? Thanx.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With an SUV, the chance is always more than a car. That being said, modern SUV's are MUCH more stable than older ones (my '88 Bronco was much more finiky) and the KK has a roll mitigation system/ABS/traction control.

No safety feature or system is going to replace proper driving skills, but they help. You'll be just fine. Realize that you can't be swerving through lanes at 90mph. You can't haul through a turn like you're in a rally car. I think the KJ I have handles really well for an SUV - and the KK is supposed to be better.

Don't let the warning terrify you (it's there as a CYA thing for Jeep), but it's something to keep in mind. Millions of people drive SUV's every year and have no issues....it's the handful of morons who don't know how to drive them properly that are in the news.

Also, 4wd - Yes, you can go faster in inclement weather. No, you can't stop better. I'd venture to say that you would stop SLOWER in most cases. A 4500 lb SUV is going to be harder to stop then a 3200 lb car. It always amazed me in my Grand Prix (which was lowered almost 2"!) - I'd be passed by a huge SUV in the snow, only to see them in a ditch or spun off in the median a few miles later.

Take it easy, learn the vehicle and it's limitations, and you'll be fine.

Natusik

Reaction score
Thank you, Kevin! Just what I needed to hear. I haven't been driving that long to begin with, so I am a "slow fella" I guess, 55-60 at the most. Great tip on winter driving too, I didn't realize that I won't be able to stop faster if needed with 4wd. It's gonna snow pretty soon here in MI, that will be a major driving test for me, but I'm sure I'll be just fine.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problem - If you're new to driving, I recommend going to a parking lot with it and getting some practice on the first snowfall. If you're young, take a parent if possible. My experience in MI is young people with parent have no problems. Parentless youths (like I did) get in trouble ;)

Where are you from in MI?

My best piece of advice is take it easy until you get to know the vehicle. I am 26, so I have been driving for a little over 10 years...I took turns slowly in the Liberty and gradually became more confident and increased in aggressiveness. Just take it easy and get a feel and you'll be perfectly fine.

With the media rollover hype back when the Explorers were having major issues, all SUV/Truck manufacturers are going to have warnings like that to avoid a "I didn't know!" lawsuit.

Natusik

Reaction score
We are in Traverse City, way up north from Sterling Hights, so it gets pretty snowy here. Will definitely take the car for a test drive before going on the road, and plus I am a very careful driver. No sharp turns or exess speeds, my husband thinks I am too careful, but to me better safe than sorry. Do you think I will need winter tires on the Jeep? It came with Wrangler tires (I think).

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, Traverse City. Hey, at least you have a lot of 4x4 trails up there! We have to drive up there for some fun!

Asking about the tires is going to open a BIG can of worms here. Everyone seems to really hate the Wrangler ST's. Do I love them? No. Do I think they are as bad as everyone else says? No. Am I the odd duck? Yes.

I will be driving with my ST's this winter. I want some all terrains, but that won't happen until the spring (just not in the budget right now). They do let loose in the rain (so snow would be the same), but that's why I have a 4x4 and the select-trac transfer case - I just put it in full-time 4wd in rain and I have no traction problems. If there's any type of snow, even a light dusting, I'll just throw it in full time this winter.

My advice would be to give it a try and see how they do in the snow. If you don't like them or have problems, get something else. If they work well for you, you just saved yourself several hundred dollars. I know you get a lot more snow in TC than we do down here, but I have never been up there in the winter so I can't speak from personal experience. My mother-in-law has a Condo in St. Ignace, so we'll be heading up there a few times this winter I am sure.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
You'll be fine. As was previously said... that label is there to cover Chrysler's rear-end in case some idiot decides they want to drive their Jeep like a sports car. If it gets on your nerves, cover it up with a CD visor or something similar. That's what I did. You'll never see it again. :)

Natusik

Reaction score
They do let loose in the rain (so snow would be the same), but that's why I have a 4x4 and the select-trac transfer case - I just put it in full-time 4wd in rain and I have no traction problems. If there's any type of snow, even a light dusting, I'll just throw it in full time this winter.
So for when it rains (like today) and snows I should put it in 4wd full time? How about icy roads?

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's no "should". There's preference. Yup, I put mine in Full Time...do you have Full Time? Not all KJ's have them...not sure about the KK ('08). You CANNOT drive in the rain in part-time (standard) 4wd. You can drive anytime in full time 4wd (option on the '07 and prior). I am not well educated in the KK's options/standard items. Just bought my 2007, so I am not even looking yet! ;)

As a general rule:
Wet roads, hard packed dirt, very little snow - 2wd or full time 4wd
Snow, Ice, Mud, Sand, loose gravel - full time or part time 4wd is fine (so is 2wd if you desire).

Just again remember - 4wd will not make you stop any faster on ice. You'll be able to get a little more traction, but the same driving rules apply as in a car.

Natusik

Reaction score
Ok, I understand. I do appologize if the questions are stupid, this is all new to me and noone I know really knows anything about cars, let alone jeeps. Thanx again!

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problem at all, ask away. it's the only way to learn. Browse the forum regularly and you'll pick up a lot. :)

The best instructor is experience. A few snowfalls and you'll be fine with it.

Basically, the only "no-no" is putting it in Part-Time 4wd or 4WD Low unless it's slippery out. You can break drivetrain components if it's not slippery enough.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im not to sure I like the trailer sway crap. If that kicks in when going up a hill it will kill your speed with a big load.

I like my kj with no ABS or anything. :)

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked at a KK last night and it looks much better in person. It actually looks pretty good from the side and rear to me. The front takes a little getting used to with the big headlight cover but its not too big of an issue. The dealer left it unlocked so I went in and sat down inside. Its actually fairly comfortable seats and it had a sun roof. But alas everything looks good when its new. Sticker price is $33000 Canadian and is the North edition (only in Canada). It's only $3000 more than the Jeep Patriot Limited edition next to it. hmm --Tempting.

impaler

Reaction score
I guess I'm a first, traded in my 04 KJ for an 08 KK today. So far I like it really well.

The one I got is Red Rock Pearl Coat. I think that's what they call the color.

Looks similar to this:

You must be registered for see images

That's cool. I have a Jeep Metallic Green Limited KK on the way--LOADED!

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I looked at a KK last night and it looks much better in person. It actually looks pretty good from the side and rear to me. The front takes a little getting used to with the big headlight cover but its not too big of an issue. The dealer left it unlocked so I went in and sat down inside. Its actually fairly comfortable seats and it had a sun roof. But alas everything looks good when its new. Sticker price is $33000 Canadian and is the North edition (only in Canada). It's only $3000 more than the Jeep Patriot Limited edition next to it. hmm --Tempting.

What is it with these jeeps.....the more you look at them, the better they look. I drove my Son's JK around for the weekend after he first got it and I want one of those too. If I ever hit the lottery, I am buying one of each model....We are all diseased, I tell you........:D

Dave

redrock08

Reaction score
I love my new 2008 Liberty 4x4

This is my first Jeep. The Comand-Trac's low range is great. I am wondering about that sway control ABS stuff also. From what the dealer said about it, The anti-Yaw/Sway control kicks in when the vehicle is only going at higher speeds and the jeep's wheels are cut at an angle that is not supported of the speed that the jeep should be going.

Attachments

• IMG_3651_sm1.jpg
    IMG_3651_sm1.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

RickM

Reaction score
Hey man, I like your color :)

Congrats on the new Jeep.

I don't know about what speeds all that traction control, ABS, and Stability Control kicks in, but it does it all automatically via the computer. You don't need to worry with it, just enjoy your new KK.