'08 liberty ****** problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbell2k

Reaction score
I have a 2008 Jeep Liberty North Edition, with nsg370 6speed manual transmission. Have 8500 km on it, and dealership cant figure out a solution to these issues:

- More than normal vibration / shaking from shifter, compared to other idnetical models test driven.
- More vibration out of 2nd gear at any RPM
- When 90km/hour or more shifter shakes like a bat out of hell.
- Have a hard time starting out in 2nd gear, vehicle shudders.

Any ideas?

Thanks

ranger81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome jbell, kind of a newb here myself. Kudos on buying a manual. I wish more vehicles were available with sticks. Good luck with your concerns!wavey.gif

Scob

Reaction score
Hey jbell2k:

How did things work out with your transmission. I bought a manual 2008 last February and the transmission has been amazing. Nice long, truck-like throws which are kind of neat after ten years of BMW and Saab shifters! Those care were great but it is nice to be in a truck again.

I don't drive much as I can take transit to work and I have a big cruiser motorbike that I ride when possible, but now that winter is settling in here in Toronto I will be spending more time in the Libby.

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Typically the vehicle will shudder if you're letting the clutch out too soon without enough gas--Mine did this on a regular basis until I became more experienced with driving the manual. Second gear will require you to give it some more gas if you want to start out. Trucks and SUVs are known to shift with a bit more difficulty than a car, so if you're used to driving, let's say, a Subaru Outback (I've got personal experience with that one), it's going to feel differently. As for the shaking of the shifter and the vibration in 2nd gear, the only thing I would blame would be high speeds and/or high RPMs. It may just be a quirk of your individual vehicle--it doesn't necessarily mean something is wrong with it. Also, if you're shifting too early, this can cause a bit of a rumble and a vibration from the engine. Check in your owner's manual for suggested shifting speeds/RPMs. I shift my 2002 at about 2500 RPMs until I hit third gear, and then shift at 35 and 45 mph after that. Keep in mind also that the engine will take time to break in.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online