'08 AC only blowing cold when moving...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pyrplhaze

Reaction score
Hello all,

Please forgive me if this is in the wrong spot, but I just registered here...mods can feel free to move if necessary.

My wife has an 08 liberty, 3.6L 2wd (nothing fancy...) and it's having some odd AC problems. Got a new compressor last year (right about this time last year, so it's ~1yr old) however now the AC won't blow cold air unless the vehicle is moving at a speed greater than around 25-30. At highway speeds, car gets nice and cool, but sitting in traffic creeping along at <5mph is a miserable experience down here on the gulf coast...

My initial research leads me to believe that it's something called the 'condenser fan'....any thoughts on this? If that seems like the likely culprit, how difficult is it to replace the fan? I presume this is the fan that's mounted near the radiator, and in previous vehicles I've had, it didn't appear to be that difficult to replace, but honestly I don't even know where this fan is on the Liberty...

Any advice appreciated! Thanks folks!!

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Please forgive me if this is in the wrong spot, but I just registered here...mods can feel free to move if necessary.

My wife has an 08 liberty, 3.6L 2wd (nothing fancy...) and it's having some odd AC problems. Got a new compressor last year (right about this time last year, so it's ~1yr old) however now the AC won't blow cold air unless the vehicle is moving at a speed greater than around 25-30. At highway speeds, car gets nice and cool, but sitting in traffic creeping along at <5mph is a miserable experience down here on the gulf coast...

My initial research leads me to believe that it's something called the 'condenser fan'....any thoughts on this? If that seems like the likely culprit, how difficult is it to replace the fan? I presume this is the fan that's mounted near the radiator, and in previous vehicles I've had, it didn't appear to be that difficult to replace, but honestly I don't even know where this fan is on the Liberty...

Any advice appreciated! Thanks folks!!

Have you watched your temperature gauge at low speeds? Make sure you're not overheating her. The condenser is in front of the radiator (or behind, on some models, i think). From my understanding, the condenser uses the e-fan at low speeds to take air in (the e-fan provides air to the radiator at low speeds, too. It's got many jobs!), and the e-fan shuts off at high speeds (since air just blows right in). So it might just be your e-fan - the normal fan right in front of the engine compartment.

Turn on the Jeep, turn on the A/C, and watch to make sure that e-fan is spinning.

If I'm wrong, can someone correct me please?

pyrplhaze

Reaction score
that's what i was thinking. Shouldn't be too difficult of a fix...hopefully it doesn't require disassembly of the front end. Haven't noticed any temp issues, but will check the fan this evening when mama gets home!

Thanks!

abjames28

Reaction score
A lot of the newer cars have that issue it is normally just a bad radiator cooling fan relay, when the temp reaches a certain level sitting still the A/C is disabled to prevent overheating