07 liberty dies at startup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89jeepcomanche

Reaction score
i have an 07 liberty that randomly at start up it will stumble and die. will start and drive fine on the second try. no codes to go by. usually use mobil gas but I've noticed it doing it from other gas too. does it more if there are consecutive start ups and shutdowns. usually only happens a handful of times a month. ive tried running seafoam and diff gas additives through the system but to no avail. please help.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never gets fully started right? I'm having the same problem. I think it's the fuel pressure sensor, which entails getting a whole new fuel pump. I think I'm getting this done sometime soon, (Because mine has gotten pretty bad. It's near unbearable.) so I'll keep you posted.

89jeepcomanche

Reaction score
Please do. Wasn't sure if there was a TPS on this motor that cud b acting up or if it was fuel related.

07 liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a similar issue but hasn't happened for a while now. As soon as it would start it would Immediately shut down. Apparently that happens when the sensor in ignition switch doesn't read the chip in the key.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy s3 using Tapatalk.

mikeandamy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a similar issue in my '02. when it got cold outside (~40 degrees) after some trial and error it ended up being the IAC. disconnected the battery swapped out that sensor and starts like a champ now. I tried the tps first but that made no difference. Even tried cleaning the IAC but that made my rpms run high around 1100 at idle all the time. when i swapped the iac i was good to go. about $100 here in boston and 10 minutes work.....

mikeandamy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No IAC is a '07 with throttle by wire.But a IAC is Idle Air Control,sets your idle.

I'm still learning the '02. haven't even ventured into the later years, probably 04 before things begin changing a bit?

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine ended up being a gunked up starter. Swapped her out for $350 and that's that. She starts like a top!

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mines does the "stumble start" as I call once in a long while. I think it's just me causing it because I'm forgetting to hold the key long enough to start.

My work Van (which I drive a lot more now) doesn't require the key to be held in the start position. Just a turn and release. So when I hope in KJ I forget myself.