04 Libby Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sleepyjim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so what would a 4" OME kit cost, and extras needed, also what should going to 4.10 cost? I will be calling around and need a price range to know if I am getting ripped off or not....

Anyone got a price range and preference on lockers?

Thanks,

Jim

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok so what would a 4" OME kit cost, and extras needed, also what should going to 4.10 cost? I will be calling around and need a price range to know if I am getting ripped off or not....

Anyone got a price range and preference on lockers?

Thanks,

Jim

Jim,
Several things come up here
First you won't get 4 inches of lift from OME springs without some work then there will be issues
OME 927 front springs. 1/4 inch top plate and 3/8 inch clevis will get you in the 3.5- 3.75 inch range With that you will need the jeepinbyal UCAs and there will still be some contact between the spring and UCA on bumps
Lockers all depends on what you want, OX, ARB, Detroit Trutrac etc
regearing again depends on what gears you go with and the price people charge per hour where you are
But full OME kit is like 850 now, then add top plates, clevis, extra isolators, bumpstops, JBA UCAs you're in the 1300 range or so. You may also look at the tommudd Econo kit which has everything but bumpstops . NO I do not sell it or make a dime from it, not pushing it, just an option.

Heres my 04 on the left with over 4 inches of lift and 32s and my 03 that I'm just starting to build on 2.5 inches of lift
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

sleepyjim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3.75 is close enough for me, What is your kit and where can I get it? By the way, your 04 is exactly right looking and what I am aiming for........

Appreciate all your help, I noticed you on other boards as well, your a good man for sharing knowledge!

Jim

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
3.75 is close enough for me, What is your kit and where can I get it? By the way, your 04 is exactly right looking and what I am aiming for........

Appreciate all your help, I noticed you on other boards as well, your a good man for sharing knowledge!

Jim

JeepinByAl
OME/Ironman/ JBA adjustable coilover/tm econo etc all on there
including top plates etc
If wanting 3.5-3.75 I'll give you the list of what you need

VAPoorBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the TM Econo in my 04 and it handles and rides great. It performs well off-road also as I was able to test it during a trail ride in September of last year.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the highest lift you can go without needing to install replacement UCA's? About 3" or so, I'm guessing?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
What's the highest lift you can go without needing to install replacement UCA's? About 3" or so, I'm guessing?

Yes about there, I'm doing a 2.5-2.75 on my 03 that will use the JBA UCAs though, great upgrade and trsut them lasting longer than the stockers.
What lift are you going with?

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes about there, I'm doing a 2.5-2.75 on my 03 that will use the JBA UCAs though, great upgrade and trsut them lasting longer than the stockers.
What lift are you going with?

I was strongly considering the full OME kit or the OME springs and bilstein shocks, teraflex bumps stops, hockey pucks in the rear. One or two extra isolators in the rear and a 1/4-3/8" clevis lift (I was thinking I'd use the clevis to shock point as a variable adjustment to level out the front). I'd use the clevis like that, instead of leaving it alone and going with just top strut plates.

Plan was to go for the OME2927 front HD springs, 948's out back.

I'm currently running 245-70R-16 all-terrains with no apparant rubbing, despite my factory suspension having sagged nearly a full inch.

So whatever amount of lift I get from the kit, add 3/4-1 full inch to what my net gain in height will be.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I was strongly considering the full OME kit or the OME springs and bilstein shocks, teraflex bumps stops, hockey pucks in the rear. One or two extra isolators in the rear and a 1/4-3/8" clevis lift (I was thinking I'd use the clevis to shock point as a variable adjustment to level out the front). I'd use the clevis like that, instead of leaving it alone and going with just top strut plates.

Plan was to go for the OME2927 front HD springs, 948's out back.

I'm currently running 245-70R-16 all-terrains with no apparant rubbing, despite my factory suspension having sagged nearly a full inch.

So whatever amount of lift I get from the kit, add 3/4-1 full inch to what my net gain in height will be.

With the 927 / 948 combo alone you will get 2.5 inches of lift " over new stock height" so with just the springs alone you will be at 21.5 inches ( middle of the wheel to bottom of the flare ) IF using a 3/8 inch clevis that will put you in the 22.25 inch range. At that height yes you'd need the JBA UCAs to prevent spring / UCA contact

No need to even look at where you are now since that is not part of what to look at when doing a full springs lift.
On my 03 I'm using the JBA total ride control adjustable lift so I can sit mine at any ride height, control rebound and compression on all 4 shocks etc

Last edited:

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice. Thanks Tom. I'll plan for the JBA UCA's then. Might as well do it right the first time.

I know that even if I skipped the clevis lift, I'd still be a good height, but knowing me, will always wonder what that extra 3/4" will be like.

Sounds like I could skip the extra spring iso in the rear, as well as the strut top plate spacers in the front then, huh? I assume that after the new UCA's are in, I could add them if I wanted without issue, otherwise, with stock UCA's, no way without introducing spring to control arm contact.

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got an OME 927/948 Bilstein lift in my 02 and sits at 22.25" front and 22" rear. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it may come down alittle after alignment which maybe why I'm .250" higher in front. Even so, that's still a solid 3 inches of lift. I am also running a .250" JBA top plate and 1 extra iso in rear for an extra .500" over the 2.5" from the OME springs and using my factory UCA's with no problems. What a huge difference it has made over the boring crappy factory suspension. The factory suspension honestly rode very smooth where the roads were smooth but was extremely harsh in the bumps. I am going to be totally honest now and say I have been riding on only springs for the entire time I've owned my Jeep and was bottoming very easily in the littlest of ruts. Winter has finally settled in now here in New England and as the temps dropped my suspension was riding even more like a lumber wagon as you could expect. When I took my factory shocks out, naturally I pushed them in and they stayed in. :icon_lol: I have found no compromises with this lift since installing, only positives and even though I need alignment it still handles and rides a thousand times better than before. Only thing I really notice without alignment is the front wheels fighting each other a little which will be fixed soon. This lift combo rides very smooth in the biggest of bumps, can hardly feel the small ones and literally not even feel the small frost cracks. I am able to sail over railroad tracks with ease and corner with more confidence as there is much less body roll over factory. The way I see it is I needed a better handling suspension and knew which route I wanted to go and the lift I got with it was a bonus. Be prepared to grin from ear to ear when you see and drive your Jeep after you lift it.
I will try and get ya a current picture my Jeep as well now that it has settled :happy160:

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I've got an OME 927/948 Bilstein lift in my 02 and sits at 22.25" front and 22" rear. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it may come down alittle after alignment which maybe why I'm .250" higher in front. Even so, that's still a solid 3 inches of lift. I am also running a .250" JBA top plate and 1 extra iso in rear for an extra .500" over the 2.5" from the OME springs and using my factory UCA's with no problems. What a huge difference it has made over the boring crappy factory suspension. The factory suspension honestly rode very smooth where the roads were smooth but was extremely harsh in the bumps. I am going to be totally honest now and say I have been riding on only springs for the entire time I've owned my Jeep and was bottoming very easily in the littlest of ruts. Winter has finally settled in now here in New England and as the temps dropped my suspension was riding even more like a lumber wagon as you could expect. When I took my factory shocks out, naturally I pushed them in and they stayed in. :icon_lol: I have found no compromises with this lift since installing, only positives and even though I need alignment it still handles and rides a thousand times better than before. Only thing I really notice without alignment is the front wheels fighting each other a little which will be fixed soon. This lift combo rides very smooth in the biggest of bumps, can hardly feel the small ones and literally not even feel the small frost cracks. I am able to sail over railroad tracks with ease and corner with more confidence as there is much less body roll over factory. The way I see it is I needed a better handling suspension and knew which route I wanted to go and the lift I got with it was a bonus. Be prepared to grin from ear to ear when you see and drive your Jeep after you lift it.
I will try and get ya a current picture my Jeep as well now that it has settled :happy160:

Get aligned ASAP and then again after a couple of months and you'll be good, right now the front tires are fighting each other.
Will be great to see pics

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Totally, pics would be awesome to see how it turned out.

My stock springs are so sad, I feel like I purposely lowered my Jeep. I'm at 18.5" rear, 18.25" front right, 18.0" front left. I can visibly SEE the differences standing back and looking at the truck.

So let me ask this: Compare the Bilstein shocks (I think its the 24-139168F/24-185660R) to the shocks provided by the OME kit. Is there a benefit of using one over the other?

Here is my 03 next to a stock 2013 Wrangler Rubicon

It doesn't look too low or bad in this pic, but here is the left side view:

I can always tell how low it sits by my side view mirror against any other Liberty I pull up to or park next to.

This is after a wash, clay bar and wax by the way.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Bilsteins are comparable in ride and handling to the OMEs
Having said that OMEs are a little better made shock
as far as most drivers I don't think many could tell the difference
OMEs do have built in bumpstops though to help prevent blowing a shock and also are designed to work with the springs
Compare these of mine , can you tell which one of mine is lifted and which two are not :shrug::icon_lol:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I would definitely go with OME shocks for the rear over Bilsteins. I've had two sets go bad on mine (rears) Replaced them with OME shocks. The OME shocks ride a bit firmer too I think. More controlled. The front Bilstein shocks seem to be good, I got 50k from my first set and only replaced them because I was swapping springs out.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
The thing is the OMEs are designed just for the KJ in the rear, the Bilsteins are for a Dodge Dakota pickup so valving can't be just right.
Will they work, sure but ............:shrug:

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would definitely go with OME shocks for the rear over Bilsteins. I've had two sets go bad on mine (rears) Replaced them with OME shocks. The OME shocks ride a bit firmer too I think. More controlled. The front Bilstein shocks seem to be good, I got 50k from my first set and only replaced them because I was swapping springs out.

Were you running longer 5100 off road Bilsteins by any chance just out of curiosity?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The thing is the OMEs are designed just for the KJ in the rear, the Bilsteins are for a Dodge Dakota pickup so valving can't be just right.
Will they work, sure but ............:shrug:

That's what I got to thinking. The Bilsteins rode nicely, but after putting OME ones in there it definitely feels better. The Bilsteins were borderline spongy.
Were you running longer 5100 off road Bilsteins by any chance just out of curiosity?

No, I ran the standard yellow ones for a Dakota. I bet the 5100 ones are better.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm going to have the rear JBA Total Control Rear Shocks on Low Down Green when its finished, totally adjustable so should be able to fine tune exactly the way I like them to ride

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
When did those come out? Didn't see them on the site when I got the OME ones.