04 KJ Trans and towing question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geof3

Reaction score
Hey all, been awhile since posting, the 3.7 KJ is doing well. My wife and I are purchasing a small 2900’- 19’ long (Cherokee Wolf Pup 14cc) trailer and I’m trying to figure out if i have the “aux” trans oil cooler. My trans only has about 20k on it as it was a new install a couple of years ago. I don’t have the official tow package, but I am adding the HD fan setup with the mopar parts. He Jeep already has OME shocks and springs as recommended by Tom, and running 275/45 16 tires. Its seems I’ll be good to go overall, but with Colorado mountains and what not, I want to be sure I don’t cook my trans. I’ve got the small narrow cooler that sits in front of the radiator and the AC, so it basically looks like I have 3 radiators. Is this small, forward cooler the aux cooler, or is there something I’m missing? I searched and didn‘t find anything definitive? Any tips/tricks would be appreciated!

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
That might be a transmission cooler, but if it doesn’t have the engine-mounted fan the Jeep doesn’t have the Tow package. The transmission lines connect to the lower right corner of the cooler, you can see them if you look straight down behind the main on that side.

You can enter your VIN and get your build sheet here:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey all, been awhile since posting, the 3.7 KJ is doing well. My wife and I are purchasing a small 2900’- 19’ long (Cherokee Wolf Pup 14cc) trailer and I’m trying to figure out if i have the “aux” trans oil cooler. My trans only has about 20k on it as it was a new install a couple of years ago. I don’t have the official tow package, but I am adding the HD fan setup with the mopar parts. He Jeep already has OME shocks and springs as recommended by Tom, and running 275/45 16 tires. Its seems I’ll be good to go overall, but with Colorado mountains and what not, I want to be sure I don’t cook my trans. I’ve got the small narrow cooler that sits in front of the radiator and the AC, so it basically looks like I have 3 radiators. Is this small, forward cooler the aux cooler, or is there something I’m missing? I searched and didn‘t find anything definitive? Any tips/tricks would be appreciated!
A regear would sure be nice, if not, its going to be a little tough on the transmission , running hotter etc

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Having the heavy duty cooling (viscous fan clutch and shroud) is very good to a cooler running KJ.
There is a small power steering cooler up front as well.

The OEM stamped steel transmission pan remains real hot & I replaced mine long time ago with a PML 42RLE machined aluminum transmission pan.
The PML transmission pan stays much cooler, and provides about 1.25 quarts more fluid than stock. Mine is installed with 42RLE Lubelocker gasket. (no leaks ever)

I pull a boat at 4000 lb in summer in the mountains, and Jeep likes the new PML, what a difference !
If you ever get an (overheat) TRANS-TEMP dash warning light, (refer to owners manual) & the ATF+4 fluid & filter needs to be changed ASAP.
Ever since installing the PML pan never a warning light again. PML is 1.25 quarts over capacity & has a drain plug. PML pan is capable of mounting a temp sensor as well.

Attachments

• Steering Fluid Cooler.jpg
    Steering Fluid Cooler.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 25
  • PML Pan and LL Gasket.jpg
    PML Pan and LL Gasket.jpg
    444.4 KB · Views: 26

Geof3

Reaction score
Here is a pic of the cooler I mentioned. It appears the lines do go back to the trans… I like the idea of the PML pan, that’s an easy one. I read in another thread about a scanner (Scangauge) that seems to monitor temps and multiple other items, that would be a good addition. I’m due for new tires as well and the Toyo’s I’m buying are nearly 10lbs lighter a piece over the Wranglers I currently have, which should help.

Attachments

• 8108E947-DC4B-4C96-B9CA-0425A2FA3B15.jpeg
    8108E947-DC4B-4C96-B9CA-0425A2FA3B15.jpeg
    233 KB · Views: 21
  • 7EFDB99A-8A12-4106-A323-1F9C63AF8BAE.jpeg
    7EFDB99A-8A12-4106-A323-1F9C63AF8BAE.jpeg
    313.5 KB · Views: 20

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too have installed the PML pan and it does keep the trans a good bit cooler (I have a trans temp gauge). Plus, it seemed like the stock stamped pan was always leaking, I even bought a new dorman pan and torque to the FSM specs, still seeped fluid. the PML pan is nice and dry.

That is the factory AUX trans cooler but Ive recently learned that the KJ may have come with a bigger trans cooler if the KJ had the towing or offroad package. Im going to try to order one to see if it fits.

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I too have installed the PML pan and it does keep the trans a good bit cooler (I have a trans temp gauge). Plus, it seemed like the stock stamped pan was always leaking, I even bought a new dorman pan and torque to the FSM specs, still seeped fluid. the PML pan is nice and dry.

That is the factory AUX trans cooler but Ive recently learned that the KJ may have come with a bigger trans cooler if the KJ had the towing or offroad package. Im going to try to order one to see if it fits.
Do you think this pan will work with a skid plate?

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks pretty much the same as mine.
You must be registered for see images attach

Geof3

Reaction score
Well gang, thanks for all the help! But after careful consideration I decided to buy a Porsche Cayenne for towing duties! It’s rated at nearly 8k lbs towing capacity. Should haul this little trailer with no issue!

runfor5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha this was a very unexpected ending to the original question. Congrats on the P-car [SUV] purchase!

mrhemi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Related question. Has anyone towed a car on a trailer with a Liberty KJ, specifically a CRD? I have a one way trip to make and looking into utilizing my Liberty with a U-Haul car trailer, NOT a tow dolly.
Thanks.

sleazy rider

Retired moto tech and gearhead
Reaction score
Related question. Has anyone towed a car on a trailer with a Liberty KJ, specifically a CRD? I have a one way trip to make and looking into utilizing my Liberty with a U-Haul car trailer, NOT a tow dolly.
Thanks.

Way too much weight, probably more than the tow vehicle and you’ll truly regret the experience.

ehartz

Reaction score
Thanks.
if the KJ didn't come with a factory tow package, it may or may not have come with a factory installed transmission cooler. Check by looking in the grill at the radiator to see if one mounted on the lower part of the radiator, check the previous post (kic) for pictures, it will show you what to look for, if it does have one it may be smaller than the tow package one. If does not, do not tow anything of a significant weight, owners manual may give you needed info about MAX tow rating as your vehicle equipped.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks.
i've done it.
You must be registered for see images attach

multiple times in fact.
not a diesel though.

sleazy rider

Retired moto tech and gearhead
Reaction score
There’s a pic for Ralph Nader’s book Unsafe at Any Speed. ;) Seriously, towing more weight than your tow vehicle weighs is downright dangerous.

Ksat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There’s a pic for Ralph Nader’s book Unsafe at Any Speed. ;) Seriously, towing more weight than your tow vehicle weighs is downright dangerous.

That depends on if the trailer used has brakes. It's not uncommon to see vehicles that are rated to tow up to 1.5x their (unladen) weight when the attached trailer is equipped with brakes. It's always safer to keep the weight to the lowest amount possible and distribute it evenly.

On the topic of weight distribution, here's a really helpful demonstration on how loading affects trailer sway:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... waiting for every semi on the open roads to crash all at once. oh wait...

Latest posts

Members online